Do you ever find yourself in a pinch, needing a last-minute hotel reservation? If so, you may have heard of Hotel Tonight, an app that promises to offer discounted rates on same-day bookings around the world.
But with so many scams and fake deals out there, it’s natural to wonder: is Hotel Tonight too good to be true?
Let’s find out by looking at customer reviews from popular websites such as Trustpilot, Sitejabber, and Reddit to see what people are saying about their experiences with Hotel Tonight.
What Is Hotel Tonight?
Hotel Tonight is a travel agency and metasearch engine that offers last-minute hotel reservations at discounted rates worldwide. The company was founded in 2010 by Sam Shank, Jared Simon, and Chris Bailey, and it was acquired by Airbnb in 2019.
Hotel Tonight’s app offers last-minute hotel reservations at discounted rates worldwide. With just a few taps on your phone, you can book a hotel room for the same day or up to a week in advance. The app also features a “Daily Drop” section that offers extra special deals on hotel rooms that are only available for a limited time.
One of the best things about Hotel Tonight is its user-friendly interface. The app is easy to navigate, and you can filter your search results by location, price, and hotel amenities.
You can also read customer reviews and see photos of the hotel rooms before you book. Additionally, the app offers a loyalty program called HT Perks, which rewards users with discounts and other perks the more they book through the app.
Is Hotel Tonight Legit?
Overall, Reddit reviews of Hotel Tonight are positive, with many users praising the app’s ease of use, discounted rates, and customer service. However, some users have reported issues with the app, such as inaccurate information about hotel amenities and locations, as well as difficulty canceling reservations.
Here are snippets of some of the reviews:
- r/Shoestring, “I’ve used Hotel Tonight several times and have always been impressed with the quality of the hotels and the prices. The app is easy to use and customer service is great.” (source: Reddit)
- r/Travel, “I had an issue with a hotel I booked through Hotel Tonight, and it was difficult to cancel the reservation and get a refund. The customer service was not very helpful.” (source: Reddit)
- r/AskHotels, “I booked a hotel through Hotel Tonight and when I arrived, it was not at all what was advertised on the app. The hotel was dirty and had no amenities.” (source: Reddit)
- r/travel, “I’ve had some issues with Hotel Tonight in the past, but overall I think it’s a great app for finding last-minute hotel deals. I’ve saved a lot of money using it and have always found the customer service to be helpful.” (source: Reddit)
Trustpilot is a consumer review website that allows customers to review and rate businesses based on their experiences. It is one of the largest review platforms in the world, with over 120 million reviews of more than 529,000 businesses.
As of May 2023, Hotel Tonight has a rating of 1.4 out of 5 stars on Trustpilot, based on 358 reviews. Opinions are generally negative, with many reviewers reporting issues with the app, such as inaccurate information about hotel amenities and locations, as well as difficulty canceling reservations.
However, it’s worth noting that some reviewers have had positive experiences with Hotel Tonight, and have praised the app’s ease of use and ability to find great deals on last-minute hotel reservations.
Overall, Trustpilot reviews suggest that while Hotel Tonight can be a convenient option for last-minute hotel reservations, there are some concerns to be aware of before booking through the app.
Sitejabber is a consumer review website that allows customers to review and rate businesses based on their experiences. It is one of the largest review platforms in the world, with over 100 million reviews of more than 1.5 million businesses.
According to Sitejabber reviews, HotelTonight has received a rating of 1.8 stars out of 5 from 208 reviews. This suggests that a majority of customers are not satisfied with their experience.
The most common complaints among reviewers are related to customer service, credit card issues, and problems with the front desk.
Tips for Last-Minute Hotel Bookings
Here are some tips for safe and reliable last-minute hotel booking:
- Research government travel advisory information ahead of time or check with your embassy for any travel warnings or special visa requirements.
- Be aware of the phone numbers for emergency services in your destination.
- Check the food and water regulations before you drink tap water.
- Use reputable hotel booking websites or apps, such as Booking.com or Expedia.
- Read reviews from other travelers to get an idea of the hotel’s quality and reputation.
- Verify the hotel’s location on a map and check its proximity to local attractions or transportation hubs.
- Contact the hotel directly to confirm your reservation and any special requests, such as early check-in or late check-out.
- Always pay with a credit card for added protection and to dispute any fraudulent charges.
- Be cautious of unsolicited emails or phone calls offering last-minute hotel deals, as these may be scams.