Mamak Sydney is an authentic halal Malaysian restaurant that has established itself in Sydney and Melbourne. The menu features dishes from all over Malaysia, including classic favorites like roti canai and satay.
Mamak is an award-winning Malaysian restaurant. In 2008, Mamak was awarded “Favourite Asian” by the Sydney Morning Herald, Good Food Guide.
The food at Mamak is served in generous portions with plenty of flavors so be prepared. If you happen to live in either of these cities and looking for halal food. Or if you’re looking for some spice in your life and craving some Malaysian dish. Let’s find out more about Mamak!
About Mamak – Malaysian Roti and Satay
Mamak Restaurant is a halal Malaysian restaurant that offers an authentic experience. Situated in two locations, Sydney and Melbourne, Mamak has been operating since 2007.
Named after the roadside stalls of Kuala Lumpur that peddle Indian Malay street food, Mamak is renowned for authentic, bold, and traditional flavors, with smart and friendly service.
Starting with just one location in Sydney before expanding to Melbourne, this three good friends-owned business has grown to meet the needs of Australians who are looking for an Asian dining experience at an affordable price point. With dishes ranging from roti to fried rice and noodles to satay, there’s something for everyone.
Mamak is quite affordable, with the food price range on the low range. With the quality of the foods, the award-winning achievement, and the great reviews from their customers, this restaurant is definitely worth to try.
Location Near You and Opening Hours
Mamak Sydney – Haymarket (CBD)
- Address: Palace Hotel, 15 Goulburn St, Haymarket, Sydney NSW 2000, Australia
- Opening Hours: Monday – Friday (11.30am-2pm, 5.30-10pm), Saturday – Sunday (11.30am-10pm)
Mamak Sydney – Chatswood
- Address: p9/1-5 Railway St, Chatswood NSW 2067, Australia
- Opening Hours: Monday – Sunday (11.30am-2pm, 5.30-9pm)
- Address: Askew House, 366 Lonsdale St, Melbourne VIC 3000, Australia
- Opening Hours: Monday – Sunday (11.30am-2pm, 5.30-9.30pm)
Mamak now offers takeaway as well as delivery orders, besides dining in. Just order via:
- Online order (through their website)
- Uber Eats
Served with two curry dips and spicy sambal sauce.
- Roti canai
- The original roti. Crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside.
- Roti telur
- Classic egg roti.
- Roti planta
- A rich buttery roti.
- Roti bawang
- With lashings of sweet red onions.
- Roti telur bawang
- Egg and onions – a must for omelette lovers.
- Murtabak (chicken/lamb)
- A local favourite. Filled with spicy meat, cabbage, eggs and onions (Allow 15 mins).
Served traditionally with curry or enjoyed as a dessert with ice-cream.
- Roti pisang
- A popular roti with freshly sliced bananas.
- Roti kaya
- Filled with a traditional spread made from pandan and coconut.
- Roti bom
- A truly indulgent roti served thicker, richer and sweeter (Allow 20 mins).
- Roti tisu
- Paper-thin, extra crispy and served tall.
- Chicken/Beef Satay
- Flame grilled for that authentic Malaysian flavour. Served with a sweet and spicy peanut sauce.
- 1/2 dozen
- 1 Dozen
- Kari ayam
- Classic chicken curry cooked with freshly ground spices and chunky potatoes.
- Kari ikan
- A tangy fish curry cooked with fresh tomatoes, okra and eggplant.
- Kari kambing
- Spicy lamb curry slow-cooked until tender.
- Kari sayur
- Vegetarian curry cooked with lentils, fresh tomatoes, carrots, potatoes, long beans and eggplant.
- Sambal udang
- Stir-fried tiger prawns with fiery sambal sauce.
- Sambal sotong
- Stir-fried calamari with fiery sambal sauce.
- Ayam goreng
- Malaysian-style fried chicken. Marinated with herbs and spices and full of flavour. ($19 for 4 /$5 per piece)
- Ayam berempah
- Bite-size chicken pieces stir-fried with whole spices.
- Kangkung belacan
- Stir-fried water spinach with chillies and shrimp paste.
- Kacang panjang belacan
- Stir-fried long beans with chillies and shrimp paste.
- A Malaysian-style salad. Prawn and coconut fritters, fried tofu, hard-boiled eggs, freshly shredded yambean and cucumber, topped with a thick spicy peanut sauce.
- Rice (per person)
Rice & Noodles
- Nasi Lemak
- Fragrant coconut rice accompanied by an ensemble of sambal, peanuts, crispy anchovies, cucumber and hard-boiled egg. Arguably Malaysia’s national dish.
- + Add curry chicken/fish/lamb/vegetarian
- + Add sambal prawn/calamari
- + Add fried chicken
- Mee goreng
- Spicy wok-tossed hokkien noodles with eggs, prawns, fish cake slices and fresh bean sprouts.
- Maggi goreng
- A popular mee goreng variation using Maggi noodles.
- Nasi goreng
- Malaysian-style fried rice with spicy sambal, eggs, prawns, french beans, assorted veges, topped with fried shallots.
- DrinksAis kacang
- A concoction of red beans, corn, grass jelly, rose-syrup and sweetened milk on a mountain of shaved ice.
- Starch noodles made from fresh pandan leaves, with gula-melaka syrup, coconut milk and shaved ice.
- See our sweet selections of delicious roti served with creamy ice-cream.
- Teh tarik
- Classic Malaysian sweetened tea, ‘stretched’ for a frothy topping.
- Teh halia
- Teh tarik with a hint of ginger.
- Kopi tarik
- Malaysian white coffee.
- Half tea, half coffee.
- Milo tarik
- Malaysia’s hot chocolate.
- Kopi ‘O’
- Malaysian black coffee.
- Teh ais
- Ice milk tea.
- Teh ‘O’ ais limau
- Ice tea with a splash of lime.
- Kopi ais
- Ice white coffee.
- Kopi ‘O’ ais
- Ice black coffee.
- Milo ais
- Ice Milo.
- Limau ais
- Fresh lime with syrup on ice.
- Soft drinks
- Coke, Diet Coke, Coke Zero, Sprite, Lift, Fanta.
- Bottled water
- Sparkling water
“Speedy with service, tasty and affordable. What else can you ask for.
Love the roti and the satay, with a nice ginger milk tea, hits the spot. Yum” (Mamak Haymarket)
“Although a very busy restaurant on weekends, you don’t feel any slow service. The staff take your order quickly, the food arrived on time. Generous serving size. Chicken curry was spicy but delicious. Saray was also a hit. Definitely recommend this place. Reasonably priced too.” (Mamak Chatswood)
“Busy Malaysian restaurant. Tasty roti with a variety of dips, satay with delicious peanut sauce. When ordering some dishes they say it will take 20 minutes but comes much quicker. Good variety of noodle and rice dishes. Did not try the desserts.” (Mamak Melbourne)
We went today and it was a fantastic experience. From the lovely polite table server who kept us updated on waiting times to the attentive waitress who answered my children questions about the menu. The kids loved it , we loved it . Food was everything you would imagine and more. Quick service , hot tasty food and great staff and good atmosphere. This will become a regular for us” (Mamak Haymarket)
“Excellent Malaysian food !!!
The food is amazing. Excellent quality and taste. The roti canai is the best . Better than most restaurants in KL. The Ayam Berempah is very different and a must. Then try the desserts . Very good value” (Mamak Chatwood)
“Best roti going around
Returned for lunch after a long hiatus. Ordered my usual favourites – egg roti, chicken satay & Malaysian tea. All delicious.” (Mamak Melbourne)