Tilapia is a popular type of fish that is often cooked in the oven. The fillets are usually baked at a high temperature, but some prefer to cook them at a lower temperature.
There are many different opinions on whether tilapia must be fully cooked, and the answer may depend on personal preference.
Does Tilapia Have To Be Fully Cooked?
Others believe tilapia should be cooked at a higher temperature so the fish is less likely to fall apart. The truth is, there is no right or wrong answer regarding cooking tilapia. It all depends on what you like.
Either way, you should ensure that the fish’s internal temperature reaches 145 degrees Fahrenheit before eating it.
The best way to do this is to use a food thermometer to check the internal temperature of the fish.
How to Cook
It can be baked, grilled, or fried, and it pairs well with various sauces and sides.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Coat your tilapia fillets in a light layer of olive oil, lemon juice, and your favorite seasonings.
- Place the fillets on a lightly greased baking sheet and bake for 18-22 minutes, or until the fish flakes easily with a fork.
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat.
- Coat your tilapia fillets in a light layer of olive oil and lemon juice.
- Season the fillets with salt, pepper, and your favorite spices.
- Grill the fillets for 4-5 minutes per side or until they are cooked through.
If you want to fry your tilapia, you will need to use a bit more oil than for other methods of cooking.
- Heat 1/2 inch of vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Coat your tilapia fillets in flour, egg wash, and bread crumbs.
- Fry the fillets for 2-3 minutes per side, or until they are golden brown and cooked through.
- Drain on paper towels before serving.
No matter how you cook it, tilapia is a versatile fish that can be dressed up or down to suit any occasion.