What is your favorite meal? For many people, the answer to that question would be chicken parm. However, not many people know that this chicken parm has its healthier version; that is baked in the oven. How to make chicken parm in the oven?
If you’re looking for a way to make this dish in your oven without having to deep fry, and even to use the stovetop or grill outside, then we have just what you need! We’ll show you how easy it is to cook chicken parm in the oven.
What Is Chicken Parm?
If you’re unfamiliar with the dish, chicken parm is a classic Italian-American dish consisting of breaded and fried boneless cutlets topped with tomato sauce or pizza sauce (or both), grated mozzarella cheese, and sometimes other toppings such as garlic.
What is The Difference Between Chicken Parmesan and Chicken Parmigiana?
The difference between parmesan and parmigiana is that parmesan is a hard cheese from Parma, while parmigiana is (cooking|in combination) a cooking style in which the main ingredient is combined with cheese and tomato sauce before it’s baked.
So basically, Chicken Parmigiana is just the same thing as Chicken Parmesan, but using different words.
What are the benefits of cooking chicken parm in the oven, compared to deep frying?
Well, first of all, it’s healthier. Second of all is that you’ll save a lot on oil and don’t need any other ingredients for the sauce, which can make this dish last a little longer.
Additionally cooking chicken parm in the oven makes more sense if you’re baking anything else at 350 degrees Fahrenheit or higher because they will finish cooking at the same time.
How To Make Them? Easy And Tasty Recipes
The easiest way to make chicken parm in the oven is by using a store-bought refrigerated breaded cutlet. However, you can also use homemade (or frozen) ones as well if desired.
That’s really all there is to it! All you have to do now is pop them into your preheated oven, and after about 20 minutes you’ll have a savory, delicious dish.
Classic Healthy Recipe
This classic oven-baked chicken parmesan recipe is using breadcrumbs or panko for covering the chicken.
- One egg white mixed with a pinch of salt
- One cup grated Parmesan cheese for topping
- 12 chicken cutlets, about one inch thick and without the breading on them
- Fresh basil leaves (optional)
- Baking sheet or jelly roll pan with sides to contain any oil/liquid that leaks out during cooking. If you have a shallow baking dish that’s great too!
- Knife for cutting the chicken into 12 pieces (about one inch thick)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the chicken pieces on a lightly greased cookie sheet, sprinkle with salt and pepper, cover them in breadcrumbs as evenly as possible, and then spray or brush on some olive oil over the breadcrumbs. Bake for 15-25 minutes, depending on how thick your cutlets are.
- When they’re done cooking you can either serve as is or remove them from the pan to cool down before adding sauce and mozzarella cheese.
- Prepare the sauce mixture by combining tomato sauce, parmesan cheese, and grated mozzarella in a bowl until it’s nice and creamy
- Layer on your pasta noodles with meatballs (optional) or just plain; then pour some of the creams over top and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese blend for that extra flavor!
- Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Check them after 15 minutes to make sure they’re not burning and then serve.
- If you want, garnish with fresh basil leaves before serving.
This oven-baked chicken parm recipe is quick and easy – perfect if you have a busy weeknight dinner coming up.
Easy No Breading Recipe
An alternative to making chicken parm in the oven is by just baking them without breading them first.
All you have to do is follow our easy and delicious recipe, which takes about 15 minutes from start to finish.
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and chilli powder
- ¼ cup thick and rich tomato sauce
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese (freshly grated)
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped oregano
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Preheat a medium-sized frying pan on medium heat.
- Season chicken on both sides with salt and chili powder.
- Add oil to the pan and then the seasoned chicken breasts. Lightly brown on both sides and then transfer to a baking sheet.
- Top with as much tomato sauce as you can fit and then sprinkle with the parmesan cheese.
- Place in the oven and bake until a probe thermometer placed in the center of the thickest part of the breast reads 170º F (around 20 minutes).
- Remove from oven, garnish with fresh oregano and serve with a nice salad and some steamed vegetables.
FAQs about the Oven Temp
At what temperature do you bake chicken and for how long?
How to make chicken parm in the oven?
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss the chicken breasts with olive oil, herbs, and spices (per recipe below). Lightly grease a baking dish or pan so the chicken breasts don’t stick.
- Bake chicken breasts for 22-26 minutes
What temperature should it be cooked to in the oven?
You can bake a 4-ounce chicken breast at 350°F (177˚C) for 25 to 30 minutes, or use a meat thermometer to make sure the temperature reaches 165˚F (74˚C).
How long to bake the chicken at 375?
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place chicken breasts in a 9-by-13 baking dish, and season both sides generously with salt and pepper.
- Bake until the meat thermometer registers 160 degrees in the thickest part of the breast, then remove from pan; let rest 10 minutes before slicing.
How long does it take to bake at 400 degrees?
To make chicken parm, start by baking an oven-safe skillet at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 to 25 minutes (or until the mixture on top is browned).
How long does it take to cook at 425?
You need to cook your chicken breasts for 18 minutes at 425 degrees. Cooking chicken breasts on high heat for a shorter amount of time will help make them juicy and delicious while cooking the exterior crisp.
Is it better to cake at 350 or 400?
There are two options for cooking chicken in the oven.
Baking at 350°F: This is the traditional method of baking a 4-oz boneless, skinless chicken breast that roasts at 350°F (177˚C) for 20-30 minutes.
Baking at 400°F: Cooking less time with higher temperature is great to get juicier chicken.
Do you cover chicken when baking in oven?
There’s no need to cover chicken in the oven while cooking, as it can be baked uncovered. Once your chicken is in the oven, you are hands-free until you need to check the temperature again. So that means, if you feel ambitious, there is a chance of whipping up a no-cook appetizer or dessert.