Sushi is a popular dish that can be made with various ingredients. One of the unique types of sushi is avocado sushi.
Avocado sushi is maki sushi made by wrapping avocado in sushi rice and nori sheet (seaweed). It is a delicious and healthy dish that is perfect for any occasion.
This blog post will discuss what it is and how to make it.
Avocado Sushi: What Is It?
What is sushi?
Sushi is a Japanese dish of cooked rice and other ingredients, such as vegetables, fish, or shellfish.
Sushi is typically served with soy sauce and pickled ginger.
There are many different types of sushi, including nigiri (hand-pressed sushi), maki (rolled sushi), and temaki (hand-rolled sushi).
What is avocado sushi?
It is maki sushi made by wrapping avocado in sushi rice and a nori sheet. It is also often served with soy sauce and pickled ginger.
Does all traditional sushi have avocado?
No, it is a unique dish not commonly found in traditional sushi restaurants.
Although we frequently encounter sushi with avocado, not every sushi dish contains it. You may not know this, but authentic Japanese food does not include avocado in its sushi.
The idea of avocado in sushi originated in the United States when sushi became famous worldwide.
What sushi does have avocado or no avocado?
Types of sushi with avocado
- Avocado roll. It
is made with avocado, sushi rice, and seaweed. It is a popular type of maki sushi in the United States.
- California roll. A
type of maki sushi made with avocado, crab meat, cucumber, and sushi rice.
- Spicy tuna roll. M
ade with tuna, avocado, cucumber, and sushi rice.
- Philadelphia roll. Filled
with smoked salmon, cream cheese, cucumber, and avocado.
Types of sushi without avocado
- Nigiri. It
is a type of hand-pressed sushi that is made with fish or shellfish and sushi rice.
- Maki. F
ish or vegetables and sushi rice.
- Temaki. H
and-rolled sushi that is made with fish or vegetables and sushi rice.
- Uramaki. R
olled sushi is made with fish or vegetables, sushi rice, and seaweed.
- Inari. Deep-fried tofu filled with sushi rice.
How to Make Homemade Avocado Sushi Rolls?
Now that we know what it is, let’s learn how to make it!
- Sushi Rice
- 2 cups white short-grain white rice
- sesame seeds
- 3 cups water
- 1/3 cup / 5 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/8 cup cane sugar
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- nori sheets
- pinch of salt
Making the sushi rice
- Combine rice and water in a saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes or until all the water has been absorbed. Or you can use a rice cooker for cooking the rice.
- While rice cooks, in a small saucepan, combine rice vinegar, sesame seeds, avocado oil, cane sugar, and salt. Cook for about 8 minutes on low heat or until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Pour mixture into cooked sushi rice. Stir rice till the medicine is absorbed.
- Let cool.
Making the rolls
- Working with a clean cutting board, lay the nori sheet rough side down. Spread the rice equally over the sheet, leaving 1/2 inch of space at the top.
- Arrange the slices across the center of the rice.
- Carefully lift the end of the nori sheet (not the 1/2 inch empty side), roll over the avocado, and roll again. To assist seal, moisten the end of the nori sheet with a bit of water.
- Set aside and continue with the remaining nori sheets, rice, and avocado.
- Using a sharp knife, cut rolls up into 6-8 pieces.
- Serve with soy sauce or your favorite sushi condiments. Enjoy!
Avocado Sushi NYC Restaurant
Avocado Sushi is also a name of a sushi restaurant chain in Staten Island, New York. They offer Japanese and fusion casual dining experiences and are located at several addresses around Staten Island.
- 1919 Hylan Blvd, Staten Island, NY 10305, United States
- 4342 Amboy Rd, Staten Island, NY 10312, United States
- 1310 Forest Ave, Staten Island, NY 10302, United States
- 1430 Richmond Ave, Staten Island, NY 10314, United States
They have a wide variety of sushi, sashimi (assorted raw fish), sushi boats, classic rolls, vegetable rolls, and fusion rolls.
Some of the rolls include Alaskan, Philadelphia, Tuna avocado, King Crab Avocado, Dragon Roll, Avocado Special Roll, and many more.
“One of “my absolute go-to sushi restaurants!! There is a wide array of rolls that are all unique. There are many drinks and desserts to choose from as well. The decor is beautiful, and the service is fast. You can even order to pickup in the store which I find very convenient when I can’t dine in.”
“Nice place, the sushi boat is huge, can easily feed 2 to 3 people. The tuna tartare was fresh. The meat quality is high in this price range.”
Does California roll have avocado?
Yes, California rolls typically have avocado.
Is sushi good for you?
Sushi can be a healthy meal option because it is low in calories and fat and contains omega-three fatty acids.
How do I pick a ripe avocado for sushi?
Pick a soft one but not mushy, has dark green or black skin, and is free of bruises or brown spots.
How do I store avocado sushi rolls?
They can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for two days.
Is avocado good on sushi?
It is a popular sushi ingredient because it is creamy and has a mild flavor. It pairs well with other sushi ingredients, including fish, vegetables, and rice.
Does salmon maki have avocado?
No. Salmon maki does not typically have it. Salmon maki is a sushi roll that typically contains salmon, rice, and nori (seaweed paper).
Does Japanese sushi have avocado?
Yes, Japanese sushi often has it. But not every sushi dish contains it.
Avocado is a popular sushi ingredient because it is creamy and has a mild flavor. However, authentic Japanese sushi does not include it.