Pea and ham soup is a traditional dish from England. The name comes from the fact that peas were originally used to thicken the soup. Today, it is usually made with chicken stock and served with crusty bread.
The Pros of Making Pea and Ham Soup
- The soup is very nutritious.
- It is low in fat and cholesterol.
- It contains a lot of fiber.
- It is delicious!
The Cons of Making Pea and Chicken Soup
It is hard to find a recipe for pea and chicken soup online because most recipes call for chicken broth instead of vegetable broth. However, there are some great vegetarian recipes available online.
If you want an easy and tasty meal that is also very nutritious, then this soup should definitely be on your list of favorite foods. You can use any type of vegetables you like, but I recommend using fresh ones. Also, if you have leftover cooked chicken, you can add it to the soup.
Pea and chicken soup is a simple yet delicious meal that is packed full of nutrition. If you are looking to eat something light and healthy, then this dish is one of the best choices out there.
This recipe is one of my favorites because it tastes so delicious. I hope you enjoy making it too!
• 1 pound frozen green peas
• 2 cups chicken broth
• ½ cup diced cooked ham
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• ⅛ teaspoon pepper
• 1 tablespoon butter
• 1/8 cup all-purpose flour
• 1½ cups milk
1. Cook the peas according to package directions until tender. Drain well. Set aside.
2. Heat the broth in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the peas, ham, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in the butter.
3. Mix together the flour and milk in a small bowl. Whisk until smooth. Gradually whisk the mixture into the mixture. Bring back to a boil and cook 3 minutes more. Serve immediately.
Yield: 4 servings
Slow Cooker Style
Soup is one of my favorite meals to make because it’s quick and easy. This easy pea and ham soup slow cooker recipe is no exception. It takes less than 30 minutes to put together and cook. You can use any kind of ham or sausage you like, but I used smoked turkey ham. If you don’t have time to make homemade stock, you can also use store-bought chicken broth instead.
This Australian pea and ham soup recipe are inspired by a dish I ate in Australia. I love the combination of sweet peas and ham together. Ham adds a lot of flavor to the soup, and the peas add nice color contrast.
If you are not familiar with Australian cuisine, you may be surprised at what I have included here. You’ll need to use fresh peas, which are available during springtime. For more information on where to buy them, check out my guide to buying fresh produce.