Do you love cauliflower cheese but don’t know what to pair with it? Look no further—we’ve got the perfect recipes to take your favorite comfort food up a notch.
From lightly salted potatoes and chargrilled vegetables, to roasted red peppers and grilled halloumi, you won’t be stuck for ideas with these easy-to-follow dishes!
Read on for delicious sidekick recipes that are guaranteed to make your cauliflower cheese shine.
Here are some ideas of what goes with cauliflower cheese:
- Main Dishes: Baked Cod, Chicken Tikka Masala, Chicken Pot Pit, Roast Dinner, etc.
- Side Dishes: Tomato Salad, Mixed Vegetables, Green Beans, Green Salad, etc.
What to serve with cauliflower cheese? What are the other dishes? How to pair them with cauliflower cheese? And how to prepare the dish? Let’s find out!
What is Cauliflower Cheese?
Cauliflower cheese is a classic British dish of cauliflower florets covered in a cheesy sauce. The dish can be served as a side dish or an appetizer.
The most common version uses cheddar cheese but can also be made with other cheeses like mozzarella or Parmesan.
Where Does Cauliflower Cheese Come From?
The first recorded recipe for cauliflower cheese was published in the 18th century by an English chef named Hannah Glasse, who called her recipe “Cheese Sauce.”
She used breadcrumbs, milk, butter, and cheese to make this dish. This recipe was later adapted into what we know today as cauliflower cheese.
Is a Cauliflower Cheese a Main or Side Dish?
Cauliflower cheese is a side dish because it has no meat or vegetables. However, you could serve it as a main course if you add some chicken or beef.
What Goes with Cauliflower Cheese?
What Main Dish Goes Well with Cauliflower Cheese?
You can pair cauliflower cheese with many different dishes. Here are just a few cauliflower cheese meal ideas:
Chicken Tikka Masala
Chicken tikka masala is one of my favorite Indian dishes. The combination of spices makes it taste so good!
I love baked cod. It’s one of my favorite fish recipes. You can use any white fish such as halibut or tilapia.
If you want to try something new, give lasagna a go. It’s delicious and filling.
Chicken Pot Pie
Chicken pot pie is another great option. It’s easy to make and tastes fantastic!
Gammon steaks are a popular cut of meat in Britain. They are delicious and tender.
Roasted beef is a beautiful way to cook your meat. It’s flavorful and full of flavor.
Roasted chicken is always a crowd-pleaser. Everyone loves it!
What Side Dishes to Eat with Cauliflower Cheese?
What to have with cauliflower cheese? Here are several favorite ideas:
A tomato salad is perfect alongside cauliflower cheese. Tomatoes are full of vitamins and nutrients.
Mixed vegetables are a healthy choice. They contain lots of fiber, potassium, and vitamin K.
Green beans are a great side dish. They’re crunchy and fresh.
Cucumbers are refreshing and light. They’re also low in calories.
Potato wedges are delicious. They’re crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
A green salad is a must when eating cauliflower cheese. It contains plenty of protein and fiber.
How to Make Cauliflower Cheese?
How Do You Make Cauliflower Cheese?
Some people prefer to use a food processor, while others prefer to mash their cauliflower using a potato masher.
Whichever method you choose, the result will always be delicious!
- Boil the cauliflower florets until they turn soft, then mash them up. Add the cheese sauce ingredients and mix well.
- Cook the cauliflower florets until they are tender, then cool them down. Mash them up and add the cheese sauce ingredients. Mix well.
Which Recipe Should I Use?
It depends on your preference. If you want something more traditional, go with 1. But if you prefer something lighter, try option 2.
Easy Cauliflower Cheese Recipe
This is a simple, comforting cauliflower cheese dinner with delicate florets and a delicious, kid-friendly cheesy sauce.
This cheesy flavor recipe is excellent for children (and adults) that don’t like eating vegetables.
- Prep time: 15 min
- Cook time: 35 min
- Serve: 8
- 1 Large Cauliflower
- 55g (1/2 stick) Butter
- 36g (4 tbsp) plain (all-purpose) Flour
- 500ml (2 cups) of Milk
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 115g (1 cup) Strong Mature Cheddar (grated)
- 25g (1/2 cup) Panko Breadcrumbs
- Remove the cauliflower’s stem and outer leaves, then break them into florets.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook the broccoli florets for 5 minutes, or until tender.
- Drain the cauliflower in a colander and set it aside.
- Meanwhile, make your Bechamel sauce (white sauce).
- In a saucepan, combine the butter and flour with a wooden spoon over medium heat. Stir continuously for approximately 2 minutes until the roux has thickened.
- Add a little milk at a time, and stir/whisk constantly. Stir any lumps out before adding more milk. Continue adding the milk until it is incorporated and the sauce is thick and glossy.
- Take off the heat and stir in the mustard and three-quarters of the cheese (reserving the rest for the topping.)
- Place the cauliflower florets in a single-layer baking dish.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the cauliflower and gently mix to ensure that all florets are coated.
- Cover with breadcrumbs and remaining cheese. Broil until golden brown and bubbly on top.
Cauliflower Cheese Soup Recipe (Low Carb & Keto )
Our Cauliflower Cheese Soup includes crispy bacon, sautéed onions, carrots, simmered cauliflower, and seasonings, puréed and combined with cheddar cheese and cream.
Its thick and creamy texture will undoubtedly satisfy your soup cravings.
- Prep time: 10 min
- Cook time: 30 min
- Serve: 8
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 slices of bacon, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 to 3 large carrots, cut into 1/8-inch rounds
- 1 head (about 1 to 1.5 pounds) cauliflower cut up into florets
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth. You can also use vegetable broth, bone broth, beef broth, etc…
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese for garnish, optional
- 1 teaspoon dried chives, for garnish, optional
- Add 1 tablespoon butter and diced bacon to a dutch oven or large soup pot, reduce the heat to medium-high and cook for 2 minutes, or until the bacon is crisp.
- Remove bacon from the pot with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the additional butter to the bacon fat in the pan and melt it.
- Stir in onions and carrots; cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in cauliflower florets, garlic, thyme, chili powder, and parsley.
- Season with salt and pepper and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- When the sauce has finished cooking, turn off the heat and add the heavy cream; simmer for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft, stirring occasionally.
- Drain, then chop the cauliflower in a food processor or blender. Puree with an immersion blender or work in batches in a blender machine until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the soup into a saucepan and heat again over medium-low heat. Stir in the shredded cheddar cheese and nutmeg until melted.
- Taste for seasonings and adjust accordingly.
- Garnish with previously prepared bacon, shredded cheddar cheese, if using, and chives.
Cauliflower Cheese Main Meal Ideas
Other Recipe Variations
There are many other variations for cauliflower cheese recipes, such as:
- Cauliflower cheese & bacon quiche
- Cauliflower cheese lasagna
- Cauliflower cheese ravioli
- Cauliflower cheese stuffed peppers
- Cauliflower cheese scallops
- Cauliflower cheese rice
- Cauliflower cheeseburgers
- Roasted cauliflower cheese
- Cauliflower & macaroni cheese
- Cauliflower cheese & spinach pasta bake
- Gamon & cauliflower cheese grills
- And many more.
What Fish Goes with Cauliflower Cheese?
Try sole or tilapia if you’re in the mood for a lighter fish. But if you’re looking for something with a little more flavor, salmon or trout would be good options. And of course, if you want to keep it simple, any white fish will do.
Just make sure to roast or grill your cauliflower cheese first to give it a little flavor.
What Goes with Gammon and Cauliflower Cheese?
The classic accompaniment to gammon and cauliflower cheese is boiled potatoes. However, roasted or mashed potatoes would also work well. Other options include steamed greens, broccoli, green beans, or a simple salad.
For extra flavor and texture, try serving the dish with some crispy bacon bits or crumbled fried onions on top.
What Meat Goes with Cauliflower Cheese?
Cauliflower cheese is a popular dish that can be eaten with many different types of meat. Some people prefer heavier meat such as beef or pork, while others enjoy lighter meats such as chicken or fish.
Ultimately, it’s up to the individual’s taste preference.
How to Store It?
Can You Freeze Cauliflower Cheese?
Yes! Just follow these simple steps when freezing cauliflower cheese so it keeps its texture and flavor:
- First, prepare cauliflower cheese according to one of the recipes above.
- Then, pour the cauliflower cheese into a container and freeze it.
- Once frozen, transfer the cauliflower cheese to a freezer bag and store it in the freezer.
- To reheat, thaw the cauliflower cheese in the refrigerator overnight. Then heat it over medium heat until warmed through.
- Serve immediately.
How Long Can You Keep Cauliflower Cheese in the fridge?
You should keep cauliflower cheese in the fridge for 3 days. After that time, it will start losing its freshness and taste.
How Long Can I Keep Leftovers?
Leftover cauliflower cheese will keep well in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. If you don’t eat all of it within four days, cover it with cling film and store it in the fridge.
What do you eat with cauliflower cheese?
I like to serve this dish with grilled chicken, baked potatoes, green beans, broccoli, and salad.
What happens when you overeat cauliflower?
It causes gas, bloating, cramps, diarrhea, and weight loss.
Can dogs eat cauliflower?
Yes, they love it too!