It’s no secret that Australians love their chicken parmigiana. But with so many restaurants to choose from, it can be hard to find the best one. That is why we have compiled a list of the top spots for the best chicken parmigiana near me in Sydney and Melbourne.
These are some of the tastiest places you will find in each city, so if you’re craving this dish then check them out.
What Is Chicken Parmigiana and Where Is Its Origin?
If you want something delicious and hearty, try the chicken parmigiana. It consists of breaded chicken breast covered in tomato sauce with mozzarella cheese on top.
The dish originated from the 20th-century Italian diaspora. And by the 1950s, it was a well-known dish among Italians all over the world.
The Australian staple chicken parmigiana is no stranger to change. Introduced in the 1950s, it has since been a regular pub main meal throughout Australia with its colloquial name varying from region to region. The most common names are ‘parmy’, ‘parmi’ and of course my personal favorite: “Parma”.
One of Australia’s most popular dishes is chicken parmigiana. It can be served as a sandwich, pie or dinner and it includes chips and salad on the side that you’ll often find when ordering this dish.
Find the Best Chicken Parmigiana Near Me in Sydney
Rashay’s – Darling Harbour
Rashay’s has everything from halal burgers to pasta and pizza! Their location in Darling Harbour is the only one located within Sydney’s CBD, while they have several other outlets in surrounding Sydney. So make sure not to miss it!
- Address: Harbourside, Level 2, Shop 430b/2-10 Darling Dr, Sydney NSW 2000, Australia
- Opening hours: 8AM – 11PM
- Website: https://www.rashays.com/find-us/restaurants/harbourside/
“Amazing chicken Parma for an amazing price. Definitely want to come back again.” (Google Review)
The Glenmore Hotel – The Rocks
The Glenmore Hotel is a stalwart pub over 3 levels with gourmet food, a cocktail bar, and a busy rooftop with harbor views.
- Address: 96 Cumberland St, The Rocks NSW 2000, Australia
- Opening hours: Sat – Sun (closed), Mon – Fri (9am – 5pm)
- Website: https://www.theglenmore.com.au/
“Second visit to the Glenmore was great, service was spot on, food arrived 10 minutes after ordering. The chicken parma was delish and the view was beautiful. I’ll definitely be back!” (Google Review)
PJ O’Brien’s Irish Pub – CBD
PJ O’Brien’s is an Irish beers and hearty pub grub that serves over 2 floors decorated with dark wood and Guinness posters.
- Address: The Grace Sydney, 57 King St, Sydney NSW 2000, Australia
- Opening hours: Sat (1pm–2am), Sun (1–11pm), Mon(12–10pm), Tue (12–10pm), Wed (12–11pm), Thur (12pm–12am), Fri (12pm–2am)
- Website: http://www.pjobriens.com.au/sydney/
“Golden standard Irish Pub in the heart of the CBD! Super friendly Irish staff makes this the ‘home away from home’ for Irish people.
While you’ll find Irish beers here, you’ll also find Scotch Eggs and a really nice chicken parm here (my fav).
A great ‘go to’ place to kick off a night out, or end one.” (Google Review)
Dove & Olive – Surry Hills
Dove & Olive is a convivial, rustic watering hole serving inventive pub grub and bar snacks, plus craft beers on tap.
- Address: 156 Devonshire St, Surry Hills NSW 2010, Australia
- Opening hours: Fri-Sat (12pm-12am), Sun (12pm-10pm), Mon (closed), Tue (4-10.30pm), Wed-Thur (12-11pm)
- Website: https://doveandolive.com.au/
“Great selection of beers and the best chicken parmi in town.” (Google Review)
Unicorn Hotel – Paddington
Unicorn Hotel offers burgers, steaks & beer in an art deco Australian bistro with wood paneling & a relaxed vibe.
- Address: 106 Oxford St, Paddington NSW 2021, Australia
- Opening hours: Fri-Sun (12-9pm), Mon (closed), Tue-Thur (4-9pm)
- Website: https://www.theunicornhotel.com.au/
“Still good after many years. Parma is tasty. Very large portion and real chicken breast but the ham and cheese let it down a bit. Just tastes a bit cheap on top of the amazing chicken.” (Google Review)
Find the Best Chicken Parma Near Me in Melbourne
Mrs Parma’s – CBD
Mrs Parma’s is a handcrafted parmigiana and local craft beer in a lively bar with polished decor and a relaxed vibe.
- Address: Ovolo Laneways, 19-25 Little Bourke St, Melbourne VIC 3000, Australia
- Opening hours: Wed – Sun (12pm-late)
- Website: http://www.mrsparmas.com.au/
“If you’re ever looking for a place that has awesome chicken parmas then Mrs parma is a place to go. I couldn’t give more I wish I could go give more than five stars I would give 10 stars if I could as the service was excellent the food was even better and the atmosphere of the place was very relaxed and inviting. I will definitely be back to this place and be recommending this place to everybody great job guys keep up the good work” (Google Review)
The Exchange Hotel
The Exchange Hotel is a stylish pub and bistro with a fireplace, leather sofas, and a relaxed vibe, plus DJs on weekends.
- Address: 39 Bay St, Port Melbourne VIC 3207, Australia
- Opening hours: Fri – Sat (12pm-12am), Sun & Thur (12-11pm), Mon – Wed (12-10pm)
- Website: http://www.theexchangehotel.net.au/
“Always good atmosphere and the chicken Parma is one of the best I’ve come across in Melbourne. Monday nights are parma nights and costs only $18 for a massive meal” (Google Review)
The Flying Duck Hotel – Prahran
The Flying Duck is a global cuisine in a family-friendly spot with an enclosed glass dining area and a leafy beer garden.
- Address: 67 Bendigo St, Prahran VIC 3181, Australia
- Opening hours: Mon – Tue (closed), Wed – Thur (12-11pm), Fri – Sat (12pm-12am)
- Website: http://www.flyingduckhotel.com.au/
“Chicken Parma For Days! So lucky to find out favourite Parma spot tucked away in Prahran. I don’t know what they do, but they do it Just right! Ask for aioli for the beer battered chips.
We’ve also tried the eggplant parmigiana and that was fantastic as well but not as filling as the Parma.” (Google Review)
Imperial Hotel – CBD
Imperial Hotel offers pizzas and hearty pub food in a lively sports bar with 2 big screens, plasma TVs and outdoor seats.
- Address: 2-8 Bourke St, Melbourne VIC 3000, Australia
- Opening hours: Sat – Thur (12-11pm), Fri (12pm-1am)
- Website: http://www.bourkestreetimperial.com/
“I had the chicken Parma and it was amazing. Definitely a different original taste compare to the other average pubs.
Will definitely come back.” (Google Review)
Wolf and I – Windsor
The Wolf is a refined pub dishes & Scandinavian specialties in a bright space with vintage & designer decor.
- Address: 152 Chapel St, Windsor VIC 3181, Australia
- Opening hours: Sun – Thur (12pm-1am), Fri-Sat (12pm-3am)
- Website: http://www.thewolfandiwindsor.com.au/
“Delicious food and very friendly staff. We ordered the veal schnitzel, chicken Parma and Mac n cheese – all generously portioned. The meals came to our table hot from the kitchen and tasted fresh with a mountain of flavour. Classic staple dishes done right. Can’t believe I haven’t eaten here before, will definitely be back!” (Google Review)
Is chicken parmigiana Australian?
The chicken parmigiana is a pub staple across Australia, where thousands are served up every day at bistros across the country. Like the flat white, this dish has become an Australian icon and can be found on menus all over the nation. A “parmy” as they’re called here took off when Australians started using bread crumbs instead of eggplant (a much more common ingredient) because they were easier to make with less preparation needed than traditional Italian dishes.
What is the difference between chicken parmesan and chicken parmigiana?
Parmigiana is a dish that consists of breaded chicken breast covered in tomato sauce and mozzarella, parmesan, or provolone cheese. Essentially it’s just the same thing as Chicken Parmesan but with different words.
Is it chicken parmi or Parma?
The chicken parmigiana was amongst the most popular dishes in Australia. It’s spelt PARMI-giana, so obviously it is a Chicken Parmi. But it’s pronounced PARMA-giana, so that makes sense for why people would think of this dish as being called Chicken Parma.
How many calories is chicken parmigiana?
Each serving of chicken, cheese, and sauce contains about 361 calories, 10 grams fat (3 g saturated fat, no trans fat, 81 mg cholesterol), 485 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 3 g dietary fiber, 8 g sugars, and 32 g protein.