Do you love your vanilla slice but are on a diet? Don’t worry. Nowadays, with so many health-conscious people, you can find healthy recipes easily.
For easy and healthy vanilla slice recipe ideas, try low-sugar (for a diabetic), keto (gluten-free), or vegan versions of the dessert.
In this blog post, we will share with you several recipes, whether it is for diabetics or keto diet plans. These recipes are easy to make too.
Let’s try these recipes!
Easy and Healthy Vanilla Slice Recipes
With these recipes, you can enjoy a dessert without worrying about calories!
It will taste just as good as any other sugar recipe.
Make sure to adjust the sugar levels according to your preferences or dietary needs:
- For diabetics: replace the sugar with natural sweetener and sugar substitute
- For keto diet plans, replace all sugar with any other sweetener, such as erythritol or xylitol.
Low Sugar Vanilla Slice Recipe (for Diabetics)
Diabetes recipes are low in calories and are consistent with recommendations for average carbohydrate intake (about 3-4 carbohydrate servings per meal).
This is a healthy, low-sugar recipe alternative made with barely any sugar. This recipe is adapted from the Natvia recipe.
- 2 ready-made puff pastry sheets
- 250ml milk
- 3/4 cup natural sweetener and sugar substitute (Natvia/Stevia)
- 1 vanilla bean
- 3/4 cup cornflour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened custard powder
- 750ml thick cream
- 50g unsalted butter
- 3 egg yolks
- Natvia/Stevia icing to dust
- Place 2 sheets of the decadent pastry dough onto a baking tray and bake for 8-10 minutes until golden brown.
- Place 1 cup of milk in a medium pan over medium heat. Add the scraped vanilla bean pod and seeds to the milk, let warm for a few minutes, then discard them before adding sugar to taste.
- Mix cornflour, custard powder, and Natvia in a bowl. Strain milk to remove any stringy proteins from the seeds and vanilla bean. Pour it into the dry ingredients, ensuring they are well mixed before stirring continuously for 5 minutes for a smooth consistency.
- Reheat the mixture, add cream, and heat it until boiling.
- Mix in butter and egg yolks.
- Line a square baking pan.
- Place one baked piece of pastry as the base, pour the custard mix over it, and top with the other pastry sheet.
- Refrigerate overnight in an airtight container. Cut to size and serve
Keto Vanilla Slice Recipe (Gluten-free, Sugar-free)
The ketogenic diet, or keto for short, is a very low-carb diet high in fat and moderate in protein. This recipe is adjusted to the diet plan, adapted from madcreationhub.com.
- ¼ cup (50g) butter, softened
- ½ cup erythritol (use Sukrin)
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 70 g almond meal
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 40 g powdered sweetener (use Sukrin Melis)
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 4 eggs
- 400 g thickened cream
- 1 tablespoon gelatin
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 25 g powdered sweetener (use Sukrin Melis)
- 30 g raspberries
- 100 g butter cubed
- 100 g cream cheese cubed
For the pastry:
- Preheat the oven to 180℃.
- Combine butter and sweetener until light and fluffy, then add egg yolk, whole egg, lemon juice, and vanilla. Stir for 1 minute.
- Mix in dry ingredients and blend well to make dough.
- Roll out each half of the dough to a uniform thickness, and size it for the baking tray.
- Lay the pastry sheet on a large baking tray. Repeat with other pastry sheets.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes until lightly golden.
- Allow cooling for 5 minutes, then moves to a wire rack to cool completely. Biscuits will get crispier over a couple of hours.
For the vanilla custard:
- Add cream and vanilla to a small saucepan. Whisking mixture over medium heat until it reaches a low simmer, then remove from the heat.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, xanthan gum, and gelatin. Mix this through the cream mix. Return to heat and continue stirring until the custard thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Prepare the pastry, pour in custard, and top with the second pastry sheet. Cover and chill for 3-4 hours before serving so the custard sets.
For the raspberry buttercream:
- Put the sweeteners in the blender and blend for 10 seconds.
- Push raspberries through a sieve and add to sweetener, butter, and cream cheese.
- Mix for 20 seconds on speed 5. Scrape down and repeat. Continue to mix until light and fluffy is achieved.
- Top Vanilla Slice with buttercream. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Cut and serve.
Vegan Vanilla Custard Slice Recipe (Plant-based)
A vegan diet includes foods from plants such as vegetables, fruits, and grains. Vegans avoid eating foods from animal products like meat, eggs, and dairy products.
This recipe is adjusted to the vegan diet rules.
- 2 sheets puff pastry, partially thawed
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- 1-liter soy milk
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 1/3 cups of cornflour
- 100g Nuttelex spread or another similar dairy-free spread
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/3 cup icing sugar mixture
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Line 2 large baking trays with baking paper. Cut 1 sheet of pastry in half, place one on each tray, and bake for 15 minutes or until golden and cooked.
- Allow it to cool for 5 mins, then gently flatten it using your hand. Let it cool completely.
- Meanwhile, grease the cake pan. Line the base and sides with baking paper so that it reaches 2 cm above the edges of the pan.
- Take a sharp knife and scrape the vanilla bean, removing all the seeds. Place these into a saucepan with soy milk before heating it over medium heat, being careful not to let it boil.
- Cook for 10 minutes over medium heat (but make sure it doesn’t boil), then set it aside for 10 minutes to let the flavors infuse. Strain and discard the vanilla bean.
- Pour 1 layer of pastry into the already-prepared pan, trimming it if necessary.
- Place the caster sugar and cornflour in a large, heavy-based saucepan and gradually add the milk mixture to form a thick paste while stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Place over medium heat and cook, constantly stirring, for 8 – 10 minutes or until the mixture bubbles and thickens. Then stir in the Nuttelex and turmeric.
- Working quickly, remove the mixture from the heat and spoon it over the pastry. Top with a second (trimmed) sheet of pastry and set aside to cool for 30 minutes.
- Refrigerate until cold and firm (4 hours or more is best).
- Dust it with icing sugar. Cut and serve.
What Is Vanilla Slice?
It is a traditional Australian dessert consisting of three layers of pastry and cream. Light-textured vanilla custard (sometimes with added fruit) is sandwiched between two puff pastries; the top layer has whipped cream piped on as decoration.
It is a perfect dessert for any occasion. This easy and healthy recipe will let you indulge without feeling guilty afterward!
It takes only an hour to make this delicious dessert, which means it’s the ideal treat on a weekday evening or during weekends.
Why Looking for Healthy Vanilla Slice?
This is a perfect dessert. Everyone loves it. However, this heavenly dessert is quite high in calories.
For a serving size of 135 grams, the dish contains 413 Calories. To burn that many calories, you need 1 hour of cycling, 42 minutes of running, or 2.5 hours of cleaning.
Nowadays, people are looking for healthier recipes with fewer calories or even vegan recipes. Also, more and more people are looking for food suitable for diabetics, sugar-free, keto, or gluten-free.
What is the difference between a Bavarian slice and a vanilla slice?
One of the most popular desserts in Australia is a custard slice. Its counterpart, the Bavarian Slice, has a little more indulgence with its creamier topping and icing.
Can vegetarians eat custard?
Traditional custard typically consists of eggs, milk, and sugar; therefore, it is unsuitable for those following a vegan diet.
What is a vegan custard made of?
Custard usually thickens with eggs, but to make this vegan custard, we use cornstarch and plant milk – like soy or almond milk – instead of dairy.
Is Birds custard powder vegan?
The following vegan custard is quick and easy to make with ingredients you can easily find at home. You can technically purchase vegan custard in the store, but homemade ones have a much more satisfying taste.
How is French Vanilla Different from Vanilla?
French vanilla is a rich and creamy flavor often used in desserts. It is made by adding vanilla bean paste or extract to a custard or cream base.
The resulting flavor is similar to that of vanilla but with a more pronounced richness.
Can I Freeze the Vanilla Slice?
Yes, you can freeze them. Place the slice in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
When you’re ready to enjoy, let the slice thaw in the fridge for several hours or overnight. Enjoy!
What Can I Use Instead of Lattice Biscuits?
Lattice biscuits are a type of shortbread cookie that is often used as a base for desserts.
If you don’t have lattice biscuits, you can use graham crackers, digestive biscuits, or gingersnaps.
How Long Does Homemade Custard Last?
The homemade custard will last in the fridge for 3-4 days.
If you’re not planning on eating it all within that time frame, you can freeze it for up to 2 months.