Making the deliciously crispy Jojo recipe in the air fryer is easy.
- Soak the potato wedges in cold water.
- Dredge the potatoes several times in flour and spices mixture and egg mixture.
- Place them in a single layer in the air fryer basket and cook until golden brown.
The recipe cooks up to 75% healthier food than frying in oil or butter and uses 80% less. So what’s the step-by-step detail? How do you do it? Let’s find out!
About Jojo Potatoes
What is a Jojo?
They are wedges of potatoes coated in seasoned flour and fried to golden-brown perfection. Even though the outside is crisp and golden, the inside is fluffy like a baked potato.
Some folks think that potatoes are a specialty of Northeast Ohio. On the other hand, others believe that it was developed in Portland, Oregon, in the nation’s industrial heartland.
What is the difference between Jojo and Potato Wedges?
Although most people might think that Jojo and potato wedges are the same, they are historically not the same.
Jojos are traditionally a potato cut into eight segments, breaded like chicken, cooked in a pressure fryer, then spiced.
Why is it called a Jojo?
The origins of the name “Jojo” are uncertain. Still, it’s said to have derived from the concept of “junk” because the components of potatoes used to be considered waste until they could be pressure cooked and transformed into crunchy golden deliciousness.
Is Jojo Potato healthy?
They are just as healthy and nutritious as any other potato. They contain vitamins A, B, and C, potassium, iron, and dietary fiber.
How to Make Jojo Potatoes?
How to cook Jojo Potatoes? What Ingredients?
- Soak the potato wedges in a bowl of cold water for about 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer to 375°F.
- In a small dish, combine the flour and spices.
- Dredge the potatoes in a flour-and-water mixture, let them sit for a few minutes, then fry.
- Working in small batches, carefully lay the potato wedges into the hot oil and deep frying for 7-8 minutes until golden brown and cooked.
- Drain the potatoes on paper towels.
- Serve it hot with a dipping sauce of your choice.
What to serve with Jojo Potatoes?
Potatoes go with almost everything as a perfect side dish. Here are some ideas for serving:
- with eggs and bacon for a delicious breakfast
- with burgers, chicken strips, hot dogs, or any other sporting event-style meal that needs potatoes
- with steak, chicken, pork, or any meat, as a delicious side to offset a more healthy veggie
- as a snack with ketchup or ranch
- with a salad for lunch, because potatoes
Air Fryer Jojo Potato Wedges
Why do you cook Jojo in an air fryer? How to make crispy air fryer Jojo Potato Wedges?
These wedges get their crunch from the air fryer’s cooking. On the other hand, it requires a little assistance from a small amount of oil.
The water in your food will evaporate as it cooks, leaving it dry. Spray oil on your potatoes so the machine won’t dry out.
The oil allows these potato wedges to have a golden-brown crispy crust on the outside while maintaining moisture, ensuring that you don’t consume a slice that feels like cardboard.
Here are the easy steps:
- Place the potato wedges in a large container, cover with cold water, and soak for at least 20 minutes. The cold water soak is optional but will enhance the crispiness of your potatoes.
- In a mixing dish, combine the flour and spices. Dry the potato wedges and flour them.
- Toss the flour-dipped wedges in the egg mixture.
- Repeat the flouring process one more time. Then dredge them in the flour once again.
- Please place them in the air fryer in a single layer and oil them. After half the cooking time, turn them over.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
Don’t overcrowd the air fryer.
Place them in batches in a single layer in the basket. There must be room in the basket for air to circulate for the magic to work.
When you stack your potato wedges in the basket, you’ll notice that too much moisture accumulates around them, and they won’t get crispy.
Don’t get sticky
When you remove the potato wedge, the last thing you want is for the battered crust to adhere to the basket and peel away.
You may always line the bottom of the basket with parchment paper or aluminum foil if you wish. This will assist in preventing your food from sticking. Alternatively, spritz the bottom of the basket with oil.
Soaking the wedges before the air fryer
It’s not necessary to soak the wedges. However, it will help remove excess starch and add the crispness of your potato wedges by about 30%.
What kind of potato is best for potato wedges?
Larger potatoes such as russets are the most desirable shape and size for cutting into long wedges. Yukon Gold, or other starchy kinds, such as russet, may be used in the following recipe.
Jojo Recipe Air Fryer – Easy and Deliciously Crispy
This recipe is easy for crispy air fryer potato wedges or Jojo potatoes.
- Four large russet potatoes
- 3/4 cup flour
- One teaspoon of garlic powder
- One teaspoon of onion powder
- One teaspoon paprika
- black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Pinch of cayenne
- 1-2 large egg
- Two tablespoons water
- Oil spray (avocado oil spray/olive oil spray/coconut oil spray)
- Scrub the potatoes and cut them into wedges. Let them soak in cold water for 20 to 30 minutes for the best results.
- Combine the flour, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt, and cayenne in a large dish.
- In a separate dish, whisk the egg and water.
- Pat the potato wedges dry with a paper towel before dredging them in the flour mixture.
- Finally, dredge the potato wedges in the egg and then flour again.
- Place 4 to 8 wedges in the air fryer basket without crowding it. Spray the wedges with vegetable oil.
- Cook at 400°F for a cook time of 16 minutes, then turn them over halfway through the cooking time. Spray the wedges with oil one more time after you turn them over for extra crispy potato wedges.
- Repeat until all the remaining potato wedges are cooked.
Is Jojos an Oregon thing?
A popular potato side dish, they are a staple at old-school truck stops and taverns across Oregon and Washington. Most locals would use a word to describe any old potato sliced lengthwise into wedges, also known as gringo potatoes.
Why do you Soak potatoes in water before air frying?
Before you prepare them for the fryer, pat them dry completely. The starches in the potatoes are broken down by soaking. It helps to produce the sought-after French fry crispiness and keep the fries from sticking together.
How much oil do you put in an air fryer for fries?
Air fries are healthier than deep-fried potatoes because they don’t absorb as much oil. You only need two teaspoons of oil to cook a large batch of fries, unlike a deep fryer where the potatoes are immersed in a massive quantity of oil and absorbed.
How Long Do You Cook Chicken in the Air Fryer?
The air fryer cooks food quickly and evenly at high temperatures. This makes it perfect for cooking chicken, fish, vegetables, and other foods.
You should cook chicken breast pieces up to 4 inches long in the air fryer for about 20 minutes. If you want to cook larger pieces of chicken, then cut them into smaller pieces first.
Can You Use Olive Oil in Air Fryer?
For cooking in an air fryer, you need to use cooking oils that can stand up to a high temperature. Extra virgin olive oil is not an air fry-friendly oil due to its low smoke point. But, extra light olive oil can be used for air frying because it has high smoke point.
Where Do You Put Oil in an Air Fryer?
When cooking with an air fryer, spray the oil on the food so that the food will get crispy on the outside. You don’t put the cooking oil in the basket or anywhere else in the air fryer.
Are Air Fryer Fries Healthy?
Yes! Air fryers are great for cooking healthy food at home. They use less oil and calories compared to deep frying. The best part about air fryers is they cook foods quickly and evenly. If you want to eat healthier, try making fries using an air fryer.
Is It Necessary to Preheat an Air Fryer?
No, you don’t have to preheat the air fryer. But your food will take longer to cook, may cook less evenly, and the outside will likely be less crispy.
For the best result, you need to preheat it.
How Long Do Potatoes Take in the Air Fryer?
For making baked potatoes, it will take around 30 minutes until the potatoes are perfectly cooked. For fries, it will take 14 to 16 minutes to fry until golden brown and crisp.
How Long Do You Air Fry Chicken Thighs?
The average air fryer cooks chicken thighs for about 20 minutes. However, some models cook them faster, while others may need longer cooking times.
Cook chicken thighs in air fryer for 20 minutes at 400ºF, flipping halfway through.
Should I Boil Potatoes Before Air Frying?
No, you don’t have to boil the potatoes first. However, boiling them before cooking in the air fryer can help crisp the exterior and keep the interior moist and tender.
Can I Use Butter in Air Fryer?
Yes, you can. You can butter your steak or chicken before cooking them in the air fryer. Or you can even melt butter inside an air fryer by placing it in an oven-friendly dish.
Do You Need to Poke Holes in Potatoes Before Air Frying?
No, there’s no need to pierce your potatoes with holes before cooking. However, poking holes will ensure that your potato won’t burst when baking.
What is the Healthiest Thing to Cook in an Air Fryer?
The healthiest to cook is chicken wings. They’re lean protein and contain very little fat. Other healthy options include steamed broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, and sweet potatoes.
Is Airfryer Better than Oven?
The answer is yes! Air fryers are better than ovens because they cook food faster and use less energy.
They are great for cooking vegetables, meat, fish, poultry, bread, pizza, etc. The results are evenly heated and deliciously crispy.