Air fryers are all the rage these days, and for a good reason. They provide delicious fried foods without all the added fat and calories of traditional deep-frying. But did you know that your air fryer can do more than fry food?
That’s right—air fryers also feature a bake setting that lets you make all kinds of tasty treats, from cakes, pizzas, and quiches to bread and chicken wings. The baking needs lower temperature and less cooking time.
Let’s take a closer look at when it’s best to use your air fryer’s bake setting.
Bake Setting on Air Fryer
The baking setting on an air fryer is a preset temperature and cook time that allows you to bake food in the air fryer.
To use the bake setting, insert a roasting rack in the drip pan and place your food on it. Position the rack in the lowest setting and cook for about one hour or until your food is cooked.
It is important to note that when using the bake setting, you should reduce the suggested temperature by about 15% (25°F/4°C) and cook time by about 20% to 35%.
Also, check the doneness periodically. This will ensure that your food cooks evenly without burning.
When to Use the Bake Setting on Your Air Fryer
Cakes, Cookies, and Cupcakes
The most common use for the bake setting is making cakes, cookies, and other desserts. This is because air frying provides even heating throughout the entire cooking chamber and helps keep desserts moist while preventing them from burning or drying out too quickly.
Pizza, Quiches, and Pies
The baking setting is also great for making savory dishes like pizzas, quiches, pies, calzones, and more. It is a great way to get a crispy crust without turning on your oven.
Another excellent use for air fryers is baking bread like loaves of banana bread or even pizza dough! The high heat of an air fryer helps create a crispy crust while keeping the inside soft and fluffy.
And because they tend to cook food faster than conventional ovens, using an air fryer can help significantly speed up your baking time!
It is an excellent option for making cinnamon rolls because it produces delicious, crisp results in less time and energy than traditional methods.
If you’re baking cinnamon rolls from scratch, you’ll need to allow extra time for kneading and rising the dough. Once your dough has risen and is ready to bake, please place them in your preheated air fryer (360°F) for 8 minutes.
For frozen cinnamon rolls that are already pre-made and ready to be cooked, you can place them directly into your preheated air fryer at 360°F for 8 minutes or until golden brown.
Doughnuts usually owe their deliciousness to deep-frying, which is also why we opt for moderation in how many of them we can enjoy. Not only do they require a hefty amount of sugar for coating, but the extra oil that comes with frying makes it difficult to overindulge.
How about savoring the same scrumptious treats with a fraction of the fat and calories? An air fryer can make that happen!
Home-bakers can concoct more healthful doughnuts by attentively controlling the temperature and timing and leaving adequate space between each one.
French Fries and Chicken Wings
You can also bake fries and chicken wings on an air fryer. This is because the air fryer uses hot-air circulation to cook food quickly and evenly, producing delicious results without requiring large amounts of oil.
It’s faster than baking in a traditional oven – you can have crispy fries and wings in just minutes!
- Preheating the air fryer: Preheating your air fryer before baking is essential. This will help ensure that your food cooks evenly and doesn’t burn.
- Adjusting cooking time and temperature: Depending on the size, shape, and thickness of your food items, you may need to adjust the cooking time or temperature.
- Allow enough space between items: When multiple baking items at once, be sure to allow enough space between them in the air fryer, so they cook evenly.
- Checking the doneness: Make sure to check the doneness of your baked goods periodically by using a thermometer or poking with a knife or toothpick to test if it’s done.
- Keep an eye on it: Keep an eye on your food while baking in the air fryer, as some foods may require stirring or flipping for even cooking.
- Using the right type of cookware: Be sure to use the right cookware that is oven-safe and can withstand high temperatures.
What Not to Bake with Air Fryer
- Smaller Baked Goods: When baking small items, like cupcakes or muffins, the air circulation can cause them to fly around and not cook evenly.
- Casseroles: Casseroles are usually too big to fit in an air fryer.
- Cheesecakes: Cheesecakes require precise temperatures and long cooking times that may be difficult to achieve with an air fryer.
- Pie Crusts: Pie crusts may burn or become overly crisp before the filling is cooked.
- Barbecue and Teriyaki Sauce: These sauces have a lot of sugar which can cause them to burn if cooked in high temperatures for too long.
- Anything with Cheese: The high air circulation of an air fryer can cause the cheese to melt and run off, so it’s best to avoid baking dishes with cheese in an air fryer.
What is an air fryer, and what does it do?
An air fryer is a small appliance that cooks food by circulating hot air around it. This cooks the food quickly and evenly without adding oil.
What are some of the benefits of using an air fryer?
Cooking with an air fryer is a healthier alternative to deep-frying since it doesn’t require added oil. It also cooks food faster than other methods, so it’s an excellent option for busy households.
What types of food can be cooked in an air fryer?
Air fryers can be used to cook a wide variety of foods, including chicken, fish, vegetables, and pastries.
What are the settings on an air fryer, and what do they mean?
The different settings on an air fryer can vary depending on the model, but they typically include options for cooking at different temperatures and times. Some models also have a defrost setting for thawing frozen food.
How do I use an air fryer?
Instructions for using an air fryer will vary depending on the model, but typically you’ll need to add the food you want to cook and then set the time and temperature.