Salt and pepper squid is a popular snack in many countries. It’s also really easy to make at home. In this article, we’re going to show you how to cook salt and pepper squid in an air fryer.
You’ll learn everything from the benefits of using an air fryer, supplies needed right down to cooking time and temperature so that you can enjoy your own homemade meal any time of day.
What Is Salt and Pepper Squid?
What is a Squid?
A squid is a type of mollusk. It’s an aquatic animal, closely related to other cephalopods such as octopus and cuttlefish.
The most common type of squid has ten arms with two feeding tentacles. It also has a head and mantle, as well as two pairs of fins. The mantle is the main part of a squid that contains most of its internal organs.
The two fins on either side give it balance and agility in the water. Like all cephalopods, squids have an excellent sense of sight thanks to their well-developed eyesight with bifocal lenses.
This class of aquatic animals has existed for over 500 million years. Did you know that some squids can reach lengths in excess of 13 feet?
Health Benefits of Eating Squids?
Squid is a lean source of protein and has low calories. It’s also high in vitamins such as vitamin B12, selenium, and phosphorus.
It contains iodine which is an essential nutrient for the thyroid gland to function properly. This can help keep your metabolism running at full speed by converting food into energy more effectively.
However, it’s important to note that some people have an intolerance or allergy to squids. If you’re unsure, always check with a doctor before eating squids or any other type of seafood.
What is Salt and Pepper Squid?
Salt and pepper squid is a dish that’s popular in many countries around the world. It can be served as an appetizer or main course, often alongside different types of dipping sauce such as sweet chili sauce.
Typically made using bite-sized pieces of squid, it has a light batter coating that gives it some crunchiness when fried. Some of the best recipes for salt and pepper squid use a mixture of flour such as rice flour, chickpea flour, or cornstarch.
One popular recipe is simply to coat the pieces in egg white before dredging them through seasoned breadcrumbs. You can also add your own creative twist by using ingredients that compliment the flavor of squid well such as cayenne pepper.
What Is an Air Fryer and How Does it Work?
What is an Air Fryer?
An air fryer is a household kitchen appliance that cooks food by circulating hot air around it. This creates an effect similar to deep frying, but without the excess oil and calories.
Air fryers come in different sizes depending on how many people you need to cook for. You can find models that are designed specifically for a single person or even larger ones if there’s more than one of you who wants to use it at the same time.
As mentioned earlier, air fryers use hot air and a fan to circulate heat around their interior. This is where the similarity with conventional ovens ends, however, since they are typically much smaller in size than these appliances.
One of the best parts about using an air fryer is that you can leave it unattended while your food cooks inside. There’s no need for you to keep checking on it, and you can continue preparing other parts of your meal.
Most air fryers also have a non-stick coating inside so that food won’t stick while cooking. This allows for easier cleanup after use and creates less mess in the kitchen overall.
How Does It Work?
The working principles of an air fryer are similar to those of a convection oven since they both use fans for heat distribution. The main difference is that an air fryer is designed specifically for cooking food quickly.
It does this by utilizing much less oil than a deep fryer and using hotter air to start with, which then reduces the time required to cook your meal. This leads to more evenly cooked dishes that taste great without any of the unappetizing fried smell or greasy texture.
What are the Benefits of Using an Air Fryer?
- Using less oil means you can enjoy your favorite fried dishes without worrying about them being unhealthy. You can also store unused oil for future use and save yourself some money in the process.
- An air fryer makes it easy to cook small batches of food such as side dishes or snacks. This is useful if you’re cooking for one or two people since it allows you to prepare your meal in a short amount of time.
- You can also cook meat and fish dishes using an air fryer without worrying about them being overcooked by the time they are ready on the inside. The evenly distributed heat ensures that all parts of whatever dish you’re cooking are cooked properly.
- Most air fryers allow you to program a timer so that your food is ready when you want it to be without having to keep checking on it yourself. This helps save time and allows you more freedom in the kitchen while still producing delicious results.
Air Frying Vs Deep Frying?
Air frying foods is a healthier alternative to deep-frying them. It uses less oil, which reduces the fat content and calories in your meals.
Since an air fryer cooks food more quickly than other cooking methods such as ovens or stovetops, you can cook small portions of food without having to prepare a large amount first. This is useful if you’re cooking for yourself or a small family.
Air fryers are also relatively inexpensive and easy to find in most department stores today. They don’t occupy much space either, which makes them an ideal appliance for those with limited kitchen countertops.
How to Cook Salt and Pepper Squid in an Air Fryer?
To cook air fryer calamari or squid, you will first need to prepare a marinade using white wine vinegar and oil. Once this is done, place the prepared squid tubes into it for around 30 minutes before removing them from their marinade.
You can then coat each piece of squid with standard breadcrumbs or plain flour mixture if you prefer a crispier texture. This is done by placing the squid onto paper towels and patting them with another towel to remove excess moisture before dipping each piece into your chosen coating mix.
Place the breaded pieces of squid inside an air fryer basket, making sure not to overcrowd it or cook too many at once since this will lower its overall temperature. Turn on your air fryer and set it to medium heat before cooking for around three minutes or until the breadcrumbs are golden brown in color.
You can then serve your salt and pepper squid with some lemon wedges, mayonnaise, tartare sauce, cocktail sauce, or any other dipping sauces that you prefer while they’re still hot.
Below are easy air fryer recipes that you can try at home.
How to Cook Frozen Salt and Pepper Squid in an Air Fryer
- 360 g frozen salt & pepper squid pieces (no need to thaw)
- Preheat the air fryer to 200 ° C. It takes around 2-3 minutes for it to heat up.
- Put the frozen salt and pepper squid in the air fryer tray or rotisserie basket.
- Cook for 20 minutes. Make sure you shake it often so that it’s evenly cooked and doesn’t stick to the basket.
Easy Recipe for Cooking Salt and Pepper Squid in an Air Fryer
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 pound squid, sliced into 1/4″ or rings and tentacles cut into bite-sized pieces
- Nonstick cooking spray (Avocado, canola, or vegetable oil preferably in an aerosol can), about 2 tablespoons
- Preheat the air fryer to medium-high heat 400°C for 5-10 minutes.
- In a medium-sized shallow bowl, whisk together the eggs and buttermilk and set aside.
- Put flour, salt, garlic powder, paprika, pepper, and onion powder in a large Ziploc bag. Seal it and shake.
- Add the rings and tentacles to the egg mixture. Shake off any excess and put half of the calamari in a Ziploc bag with flour.
- Shake until the squid is fully coated. Remove any excess flour before putting it on a baking sheet or work surface.
- Spray the squid with cooking oil. Turn and spray again. For a perfect coating, make sure not to leave any “dry spots”. You want the calamari to be wet-looking.
- Put the food in the fryer basket and cook for 8-10 minutes. Shake the frying basket every 3 minutes or so.
- Place the cooked squid on a serving platter. Do this again with the remaining uncooked squid.
How long does calamari take to cook in an air fryer?
Lay the calamari pieces in a single layer across the bottom of the air fryer basket. Cook it at 200 degrees Celsius (fryer to 375°F) for 10-12 minutes or until it is golden brown.
Use the remaining calamari rings and then serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
How do you cook frozen salt and pepper squid?
Oven: Place frozen squid on a preheated baking rack and bake for 24-26 minutes (or 20-22 minutes fan-forced) or until golden brown. Turn the squid over halfway through cooking.
Pan Fry: Heat a frypan with oil at medium temperature. Put the frozen squid in the frypan and cook for 8-10 minutes.
Is calamari the same as salt and pepper squid?
Cantonese Salt and Pepper Squid is similar to fried calamari. It is tossed in a mixture of garlic, ginger, and hot peppers.
Should you salt squid before cooking?
This is a recipe for boiled squid rings. They are low in fat and calories and high in protein, so they are healthy. You will need salt, a few bay leaves, and fresh lime for the garnish. Or you could use lemon or any other flavor of your choosing.
How do you cook squid so it is tender?
The general rule of squid cookery: To make tender calamari or squid, cook it quickly over high heat. You can use a wok or sauté pan for a quick stir-fry, or batter the squid for deep frying. Or try cooking it over hot coals.