Have you ever wanted to fry keropok but didn’t want the hassle of dealing with oil and the mess it makes? If so, then you’re in luck!
Believe it or not, you can fry keropok using an airfryer. That’s right- now you can get the same crunchy deliciousness at home without dealing with the cooking mess or going out and buying pre-packaged snacks.
Let’s explore the possibilities.
What is Keropok?
Keropok is a type of cracker or chip made from fish or shrimp, a popular snack in Southeast Asia for centuries. It is usually served as an appetizer or side dish with various sauces and dips.
In Malaysia, there are two main types of keropok – keropok lekor (made from fish) and keropok udang (made from prawns).
In Indonesia, keropok is known as kerupuk and it can be made from fish, shrimp, or even vegetables.
Can You Air Fry Keropok?
The great news is, yes, you can! Air fryers are perfect for making crispy, crunchy keropok quickly and easily.
One of the best things is that it’s much healthier than deep-fried keropok. There’s no need for unhealthy oils and fats when using an airfryer, so you can feel good about serving this delicious snack to your family.
Additionally, air-fried keropok is just as crispy and delicious as its deep-fried counterpart—if not more so!
So why not ditch the deep fryer and give air frying a try? You won’t be disappointed.
How to Air Fry Keropok?
- All you need to do is preheat your air fryer to 375°F (190°C), lightly coat the keropok in oil spray, and place it into the preheated air fryer basket.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes, then flip them over halfway through to ensure even cooking on both sides.
- They’re ready for eating when they’re golden brown and crunchy on the outside but still soft inside!
About Air Fryer
An airfryer is a small appliance that uses hot air to cook food. It’s similar to a convection oven but cooks food faster.
They’re much healthier because they use less oil than traditional frying methods while still achieving a crunchy texture on the outside of your food. And they make cleanup much easier, too!
Tips for Making Delicious Keropok in the Air Fryer
- Preheat your air fryer before cooking to ensure your keropok will cook evenly.
- Don’t overcrowd your air fryer basket, as this will prevent the hot air from circulating all the pieces evenly.
- To get extra crunchy results, spray oil onto your keropoks before placing them into the air fryer basket.
- Keep an eye on them while cooking, as they can burn easily if left in too long.
- Serve immediately after cooking so that they remain crisp and crunchy.
What temperature should I set my air fryer when cooking keropok?
The ideal temperature for cooking keropok in an air fryer is around 370°F (190°C). Cook the crackers for 2-3 minutes or until they are puffed up and crispy. It’s important not to overcrowd the basket, so cook them in batches if necessary.
How long should I cook keropok in the air fryer?
The cooking time for keropok in an air fryer varies depending on the type of keropok and the size of your air fryer. However, as a general rule of thumb, it usually takes around 5-10 minutes at 180°C.
Do I need to preheat my air fryer before cooking keropok?
Yes, it would be best to always preheat your air fryer before cooking any food, including keropok. This ensures that your food cooks evenly and helps to prevent sticking or burning. Preheat your air fryer for 3-5 minutes before adding your keropok.