Snow crab legs are a delicacy all year round. So many people love to eat them, but not everyone knows how to fry them correctly.
Here are how to fry Snow Crab Legs:
- By deep-frying Snow Crab legs with a golden brown coating.
- By stir-frying Snow Crab legs with vegetables.
- By air-frying the Snow Crab legs, eat them with your favorite seasoning and sauces.
But how to cook them? This article will teach you how to fry snow crab legs in both ways.
What are Snow Crab Legs?
What is Snow Crab?
Snow Crab is an edible crustacean living in the cold waters of the Pacific Ocean and the Atlantic Ocean, including the Gulf Stream.
Snow crabs can be found from Alaska to South America. However, “snow crab” is usually used to describe their prevalence in chilly northern seas.
Queen crabs (in Canada) and spider crabs are two names for crabs in this species, which are also known by various names in other world regions.
Why Do We Eat Crab Legs?
Crab legs are high in beneficial fats, vitamins, and minerals, making them an excellent choice for a low-carb diet.
They’re easy to make and ideal for a quick, simple, delicious supper. They can be baked, cooked, or air-fried in only a few minutes and are keto-friendly. They’re great for making a quick, simple dinner.
Are Snow Crab Legs Worth It?
Crab legs are often less expensive than king crab.
Snow crabs are sustainably managed and responsibly harvested, making them an eco-friendly and sustainable seafood alternative.
The extended harvesting season of snow crabs and their ease of detection are major reasons for the lower cost.
Which is Better: Snow Crab or Alaskan King Crab?
Both are fantastic!! But, if you want to know which is better: snow crab or king crab, let’s find out.
Snow crab has thinner shells and is often sold in clusters. The crab’s meat is sweet and mild, with a salty flavor. It has a firm texture that breaks apart readily into chunks.
They are simpler to open. However, there are more feet in a 1-pound serving, so they are more difficult to crack open.
King crab has thick-shelled, spiky legs, purchased individually instead of in clusters.
King crab meat is similar to lobster meat in taste and texture.
How much is a pound of snow crab legs?
1 lb of snow crab legs is about 3 clusters.
The number of clusters or legs varies based on the crab’s size. Typically, you’ll see 2 to 3 clusters or 8 to 12 legs.
The weight will include the body section and the large white piece that connects all legs.
How to Fry Snow Crab Legs?
How to fry crab legs? These crab legs have three frying methods: deep-frying, stir-frying, and air frying.
Deep Fried Snow Crab Legs
Benefits of Deep Fried Crab Legs
It’s quick, convenient, and healthy! Deep-frying is one of my favorite ways to prepare crab legs because it gives me the best of both worlds.
I get the crunchy crust from pan-frying while maintaining the crab leg’s juiciness.
I also love how easy it is to make — add oil to your skillet and heat until hot. You don’t even need any other ingredients.
Deep-fried Snow Crab Legs are great for sandwich fillings. You can also have them for snacks with your favorite dipping sauces.
How to Fry Crab Legs?
This is how to make fried crab legs:
- To deep-fry crab legs, start by heating your oil over medium-high heat. When the oil reaches 350° F (177° C), carefully drop in the crab legs.
- Cook the legs for 4 to 5 minutes per side, remove them from the oil, and drain them on paper towels.
Deep Fried Snow Crab Legs Recipe
This recipe is also for deep-fried king crab legs
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 2 lbs Snow Crab or 2-4 Alaskan King Crab
- 1 cup Flour
- 2 Tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 Cup Buttermilk
- 3 Tbsp Hot Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Salt & Pepper
- 1/2 Tbsp Garlic Salt
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- Enough Canola oil to fry
Instructions on how to fry King crab legs or Snow crab legs:
- Heat oil to 350 degrees (use a thermometer). Steam Crab for 12-15 mins until heated through.
- In the meantime, in a bowl, mix Buttermilk, and hot sauce. Melt butter and stir in.
- In a bag or bowl, add flour, cornstarch, and seasonings. Blend well.
- Cut the shell down the center with scissors when the crab is done and gently pull the crabmeat.
- Dip crab in buttermilk mixture. Soak for 5 mins.
- Deep fry for 6-8 minutes until golden brown.
- Drain on a paper towel and sprinkle with a dash of your favorite seasonings.
Stir-Fried Snow Crab Legs
A stir-fry is usually made up of vegetables (usually green) and meat (usually red). This recipe uses snow crab legs as the main ingredient.
With a little preparation time, you can make a delicious meal without spending hours cooking.
You can use any meat you’d like.
You can use whatever veggies you like.
The best way to eat stir-fried Snow Crab Legs is to have rice or mashed potatoes.
How to Make Stir Fry Crab Legs?
- Start by cutting off the ends of the snow crab legs. Then peel away the tough outer layer of skin.
- Next, slice the crab legs lengthwise so you have flat strips.
- Then, chop the crab legs into bite-sized pieces.
- Now, you’re ready to cook!
- First, pour some vegetable oil into a wok or large pot. Heat over high heat.
- Then, add the chopped snow crab legs.
- Let them sear for 1 minute before adding the rest of the ingredients.
- Add the garlic, ginger, scallions, and chilies—Cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the soy sauce, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, and sugar. Mix well.
- Let the snow crabs simmer for 3 minutes.
- Remove the snow crab legs from the wok and place them on a plate.
- Serve immediately.
Stir-Fry Snow Crab Legs Recipe
- Snow crab legs (about 1 pound)
- Veggies (optional)
- Garlic (chopped)
- Ginger (minced)
- Scallion (thinly sliced)
- Chili flakes
- Soy sauce
- Rice wine vinegar
- Cut the snow crab legs into bite-size pieces.
- Peel away the tough outer layer.
- Slice the crab legs lengthwise.
- Chop the crab legs into bite-sized pieces.
- Add the garlic and ginger to the wok.
- Cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add snow crab legs. Let it simmer for 3 minutes. Remove the snow crab legs from the wok. Place them on a serving platter.
- Add the scallions and chili flakes to the wok. Cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Pour the sauce over the snow crab legs. Serve immediately.
Air Fryer Snow Crab Legs
Crab legs cooked in an air fryer are quick and simple to prepare. This is the way to go if you want to make your crab legs at home.
Air-fried crab legs are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. They’re perfect for dipping in sauces.
Because they cook quickly, they’re ideal for busy weeknights.
Air-fried crab is healthier than deep-fried crab because it’s cooked with less oil.
The main disadvantage is that you can’t cook huge amounts of food in an air fryer. Aside from that, these are ideal for making a few crab leg clusters at a time.
How to Air Fry Crab Legs?
- Remove any soil or debris from the legs. A potato brush might be used to clean them thoroughly. Using a paper towel, dry them as needed.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the crab legs, olive oil, old bay, and garlic powder for a basic recipe. Rub oil and seasonings all over the crab legs with your hands.
- Place the legs in aluminum foil wrap and seal tightly.
- Place in an air fryer basket.
- Air fry crab legs at 380°F for 5-7 minutes.
Air Fryer Cajun Crab Legs Recipe
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 5
- Total Time: 10
- Yield: 2 Servings 1x
- 1 cluster Snow Crab legs or King crab legs fresh
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- Optional: serve with melted butter, Old Bay seasonings, or lemon wedges
- Combine the crab legs, olive oil, and cajun seasoning in a mixing dish.
- Transfer to the air fryer and air fry for 3-5 minutes at 350°F.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
How to Eat Fried Crab Legs?
There are many different ways to enjoy fried crab meat of legs. Here are a few ideas:
- Dip them in mayonnaise, mustard, tartar sauce, cocktail sauce, ketchup, or remoulade.
- Use them as a topping for salads, sandwiches, burgers, or tacos.
- Mix them with pasta or rice.
- Make crab cakes out of them.
- Eat them plain.
How do you eat fried snow crab legs?
The proper method for eating fried “hard shells” is to eat them in the same way you pick and eat boiled hard shell crabs.
First, bite off the batter crust. Then pick out all the crab meat.
How do you reheat fried crab legs?
Follow these steps:
- Wrap your crab legs in aluminum foil and double the wrapping to conceal sharp edges that protrude from the surface.
- Grill the legs for 10 to 15 minutes on indirect medium-high heat.
- Put the food over the heat. Wait for three to five minutes on each side.
Do you need to thaw frozen crab legs before cooking?
Crab legs should be thawed before being reheated or cooked. To ensure that the crabmeat heats up uniformly, thaw it first.
Crab legs can be defrosted in the refrigerator for an entire night (about 8 hours) or by running cold water over them.
How do you know when crab legs are done?
The color you should look for depends on whether your crab legs are fresh or frozen.
The legs are already cooked and will be orange or red in color. Fresh crab meat will be greenish-brown. And when it’s done, the crab flesh will become pink/red while the meat is opaque.