Everybody loves a good vanilla slice. They are creamy, sweet, and mouth-watering. But sometimes making the custard can be time-consuming or difficult to get just right. Luckily there is an easier way of making vanilla slice using instant pudding mix.
You can make vanilla slice using instant pudding mix instead of homemade custard. You don’t need to make your own vanilla custard from scratch, which is quite time-consuming. Just mix the instant pudding mix with milk and cream, and you are ready to assemble the delicious slices.
This recipe will show you how to do it so that your family and friends enjoy this delicious treat without any fuss.
What Is Vanilla Slice?
Vanilla slice is a delicious custard-filled cake that we all crave. It’s made by cutting up slices of puff pastry and filling them with thick vanilla custard, then covering the top in chocolate toffee or icing sugar (or both).
The Australian interpretation of the French mille-feuille has been described as uniquely Australian. However, some believe it came from France and that it originally resembled a traditional vanilla slice.
You can usually find a version of this dessert in bakers or cafes across Australia.
The Australian interpretation of the vanilla slice has been described as a uniquely Australian food, but it may have actually come from France and originally resembled the French mille-feuille.
The Great Australian Vanilla Slice Triumph is held every year to determine who the best baker can create a decadent dessert that satisfies several criteria.
Can I Use Vanilla Pudding Instead of Custard?
Vanilla slice, sometimes known as custard slice, is one of those desserts that can be a little tricky to make.
The quick and easy is by using instant vanilla pudding mix or custard powder. This easy version has all of the taste of a vanilla slice without making a custard from scratch.
Making Vanilla Slice Using Instant Pudding Mix Vs Custard Powder
What is instant pudding mix?
Instant pudding mix is a pre-made mixture of sugar, milk solids (like cornstarch), flavouring and stabilizers.
This gives you an instant vanilla slice by using the ingredients already mixed in the package, which saves time when it comes to cooking them! You can use any flavour of instant pudding for this recipe too, like chocolate or banana flavour.
The ingredients for the basic version of instant pudding mix are cornstarch, sugar, salt and artificial flavours. The mixture is milk-based because this allows it to thicken when heated instead of turning into a watery consistency that would not work in our recipe.
Instant pudding mix will save you time on cooking custard from scratch which can be tricky for new cooks or those with limited time available.
What is custard powder?
Custard powder is the powdered form of custard and can be used in recipes to make the vanilla slice. This is a starch that is colored and available with various fruit flavors as well as vanilla and chocolate.
So, how does the custard’s texture change from powder? This is when a hot liquid is added to give it that unique custard feel.
It has a specific, starch-like aftertaste that isn’t to everyone’s liking. That is one of the reasons why the use of instant pudding has become more popular in the last few years.
Easy Vanilla Slice Recipe Using Instant Pudding Mix
- 2 sheet puff pastry (thawed)
- 300 ml milk
- 600 ml thickened cream
- 2 packs Cottee instant pudding mix
- 1/4 cup pure icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 210°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Line a slice tin with baking paper and set it aside.
- Bake pastry sheets for 10-15 minutes or until puffed and just golden. When you remove them from the oven, place a tray on top of the sheet to flatten it. Leave it to cool this way.
- In a side bowl, mix together the milk, cream, and pudding mix until thick.
- Cut one pastry sheet to fit the base of the slice tin and place it in the tin.
- Pour the custard mixture into the slice tin and smooth out evenly.
- Cut the second sheet of pastry and place it on top.
- Refrigerate for 3 hours, then sprinkle with sifted icing sugar before serving.
- Slice into squares or rectangles using a serrated knife once cooled to room temperature.
No Baking Vanilla Slice Recipe Using Instant Pudding Mix
- 200g packet Lattice biscuits (or any flat-square biscuit will work)
- 600 ml cream
- 100g packet Vanilla Pudding mix
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 passionfruit pulp
- 1 tablespoon butter (softened)
- Line a 20 x 30cm lasagna dish with baking paper.
- Layer with 8 Lattice biscuits flat side up.
- In a bowl, using electric beaters, mix cream and pudding until thick.
- Spoon the creamy mixture over the biscuit base.
- Top with another layer of biscuits, shiny side up.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before topping with passionfruit icing.
- To make the icing, mix together the icing sugar, passionfruit and butter until an even spreadable consistency is reached. Add more passionfruit if required.
Easy Vanilla Slice Recipe Using Custard Powder
- 1 sheet ready-prepared puff pastry, thawed
- 5 level tablespoons custard powder
- 3 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 4 cups milk icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celcius.
- Halve the pastry lengthwise before rolling each half into a rectangle 3mm thick. Trim each piece to fit into a 20cm x 30cm slice tin.
- Place pastry sheets on baking trays that have been lined with bake paper, then squeeze another baking tray on top. This helps to prevent the pastry from popping too high while cooking so it cooks all the way through without burning.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on the baking rack.
- Add 5 tablespoons of milk to the custard powder and caster sugar, then blend until they form a smooth paste.
- Slowly add the remaining milk and vanilla extract. Put the pan on the stove and heat at a slow boil, stirring continuously.
- Reduce heat to simmer the sauce for a further two minutes. While it is cooking, continue stirring until the sauce has a runny consistency.
- Line the slice tin with baking paper. Place one of the pastry sheets into the lined tin.
- Add the cooled custard to the tin, spreading carefully over the pastry.
- Top with the remaining pastry sheet. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- Remove the cake from the tin and cut into 8 pieces. Dust with icing sugar before serving.
How do you cut a vanilla slice without squashing it?
To slice neatly, carefully remove the overhanging baking paper and place on a board. Gently peel away the paper and dust with icing sugar for decoration.
For the perfect slice, use a thin knife to cut through only the top layer of pastry. Cut each piece into 10 small even-sized slices.
How do you mix Cottee instant pudding?
- Sprinkle contents on 700mL of cold full cream milk in a bowl.
- Beat with an electric beater for 1 minute.
- Pour into 6x250mL capacity serving dishes and refrigerate for 14 mins.
Is vanilla pudding mix the same as custard powder?
Instant vanilla pudding mix is a powdered mixture used to make a custard, and it closely resembles instant US-style white chocolate pudding.
Just combine it with milk, cook to thicken, and you have custard (or pudding)! If you can’t find it, instant pudding mix is a great substitute.
What’s the difference between a pudding and a custard?
The difference between a custard and pudding is in the eggs. Custards require eggs to get that thicker, firmer texture that many people like about it. Puddings use cornstarch to thicken sweetened milk instead of egg yolk.
Is vanilla custard healthy?
Custard, which mainly consists of milk as its main ingredient, is a good source of protein and calcium–both great for maintaining bone health.
Some people may shy away from vanilla slice because of their high-fat, high-sugar content. The average store-bought version typically contains 10% of your daily calcium intake and 60 grams of sugar per serving.
See also: Vanilla Slice Recipe Donna Hay – The Perfect Desserthttps://ostrali.com/vanilla-slice-recipe-donna-hay/