Everybody loves vegetable beef soup. This hearty soup is perfect for cold winter days or rainy fall afternoons. It is also very easy to make, which makes it a great dish to serve company. However, sometimes people don’t really know what goes well with the vegetable beef soup.
Here are what goes with vegetable beef soup:
- Cheese Sandwich
- And many more.
Here are a few suggestions for things that go well with vegetable beef soup
What is Vegetable Beef Soup?
Vegetable Beef Soup is a hearty, meaty, and delicious soup that can be made in the slow cooker or on the stovetop. It’s a great way to use up leftover vegetables from your fridge!
This hearty soup is perfect for cold winter dish or rainy fall afternoons.
What is a vegetable beef soup made of?
It’s made out of leftover cooked vegetables mixed with some flavorful broth and then simmered until it thickens.
To make it, you start by sautéing some onions and garlic in oil over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Then you add the rest of the ingredients (broth, spices, etc.) into your pot and let simmer for at least an hour.
What is in Campbell’s vegetable beef soup?
The Campbell’s vegetable beef soup contains a hearty combination of good, honest ingredients—carrots, potatoes, seasoned beef, toasted barley, green beans, and peas in savory beef stock. It is said to be low in fat and cholesterol.
What is the difference between broth and soup?
The broth is just water and salt; soup has other ingredients added to it.
What Goes with Vegetable Beef Soup?
You can serve the soup as a flavorful side dish, but we love it best when served over rice.
Here are some suggestions:
Rice is a great pairing with vegetable beef soup because it adds substance and texture. You can use brown rice or white rice or even rice pilaf.
You can also try adding more veggies like broccoli florets or cauliflower florets.
If you want something heartier, go with pasta instead of rice. We recommend whole wheat spaghetti or linguine.
Serve this soup with crusty bread or french bread toast. The crusty bread is usually called crouton. Crouton is often used to describe any type of bread that is cut into cubes and fried.
You can also use homemade garlic bread.
This soup would be perfect for making sandwiches with parmesan cheese. Try using cheddar cheese or Swiss cheese.
We think pizza would be the ultimate pairing with vegetable beef soup. If you don’t have time to make homemade pizza dough, you could always buy frozen pizza dough from the grocery store.
A fresh salad makes a nice addition to vegetable beef soup. Try making a simple salad with tomatoes, cucumbers, and feta cheese.
Vegetables roasted in the oven are another great option. Roasting brings out their natural sweetness. Some favorites include carrots, sweet peppers, onions, squash, mushrooms, and zucchini.
Chips would be a perfect accompaniment to this soup. Our favorite brand of chips is Lay’s potato chips. They have a light flavor and crunchiness.
Another idea is to bake some potatoes before serving. Baking them gives them a crispy outside while still keeping their soft inside.
This soup is so filling that you might not even need cornbread. But if you do, try our easy-to-make cornbread mix.
These biscuits are light and fluffy and taste amazing with the soup. They’re also super easy to make.
Sweet Potato Casserole
This is one of our family’s favorite ways to eat vegetable beef soup. Sweet potatoes are mashed and layered with butter, brown sugar, marshmallow cream, and pecans. It adds a sweet flavor to the whole meal.
For those who prefer mashed potatoes, they pair perfectly with the vegetable beef soup.
Macaroni & Cheese
We love macaroni and cheese with this soup. If you don’t have time to make homemade macaroni and cheese, you can always buy ready-made macaroni and cheese.
Our favorite potato salad recipe uses canned diced potatoes. This is a quick and easy side dish to serve alongside the soup.
Fresh fruit pairs well with the vegetable beef soup. A few examples include apples, pears, bananas, strawberries, oranges, peaches, and plums.
How to Make Vegetable Beef Soup?
Homemade Vegetable Beef Soup Recipe
- 1 pot roast or chuck roast (about 2 pounds)
- 2 russet potatoes, chopped
- 1 bag frozen seasoning blend (or just chopped onions)
- 1 bag frozen peas
- 1 bag frozen green beans
- 1 bag frozen corn
- 4 large carrots, chopped
- 1 (32 oz) container beef broth
- 2 (10.75 oz) cans tomato soup (or use tomato sauce)
- 1 can filled with water
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper, to taste
- Dab the beef dry with paper towel. Season the meat with salt and pepper and put it in your slow cooker with a half cups beef broth. Put the meat in the slow cooker on low for 6-8 hours. Shred with two forks.
- Put carrots and seasonings in a large pot and cook them in 1 tablespoon oil until tender.
- Add beef, potatoes (or sweet potatoes), remaining vegetables, remaining beef broth, and tomato soup. Season with salt and pepper for rich flavors.
- Bring to a boil, lower the heat, cover and simmer for about an hour.
- Add water as desired while it cooks.
Hearty Vegetable Beef Soup Recipe
This hearty flavor of soup is the perfect way to use up all those summer mixed vegetables and those tender chunks of beef add such a delicious flavor.
- 1 1/2 lbs beef stew meat (or you use lean ground beef)
- 2 1/2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 3/4 cups chopped yellow onion or green onions (1 large)
- 1 1/4 cups peeled and chopped carrots (3 medium)
- 1 cup chopped celery (3 medium)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp minced garlic (4 cloves garlic)
- 8 cups low-sodium beef broth or chicken broth
- 2 (14 oz.) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 lb red or yellow potatoes, chopped into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 cups (5 oz.) chopped green beans (trim ends first)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Add one tablespoon of olive oil in a large pan and heat to medium high heat
- Season the beef with salt and pepper, then add half of the meat to the pan and brown beef for about four minutes, turning halfway through the cooking time. Browning the beef will add layer of flavor.
- Transfer to a plate add another 1/2 Tbsp oil to pot and repeat process with remaining half of beef.
- Add another 1 tablespoon oil to the empty pot, then add onions, carrots and celery, and saute for three minutes, then add garlic, and saute an additional one minute.
- Add broth, tomatoes, brown meat, basil, oregan, thyme and season it with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- Add potatoes to the pot and cook for 20 minutes. You can also add green beans if you like them very tender.
- Stir in green beans and simmer 15 minutes longer, or until all of the veggies and beef are tender.
- Put in corn and peas and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in parsley and serve warm.
- Ground beef could even be use here in place of the beef stew meat.
- You can use 1 tsp dried Italian seasoning instead of basil, oregane and thyme.
- You can use fresh corn/peas instead of frozen peas. Just add them at the same time as the green beans.
- You can also used frozen vegetables that consist of carrots, green beans, peas, and corn.
Look for a fatty, marbled cut of beef, which will be more tender. Dice any larger chunks into smaller pieces as needed.
Beef it up
You can add some extra ground beef to the stock if you want to increase the protein content.
Give the soup time to simmer
Let the soup simmer for at least 30 minutes to ensure that the flavors meld.
Adjust the seasoning to your taste
Once the soup simmers, taste it and adjust the seasoning to suit your tastes. You might need to add a bit of salt and pepper.
Spice it up
Feel free to add crushed red peppers or cayenne pepper if you want the soup to be spicy.
How to store
Once the soup is cooled, transfer the soup to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3-5 days.
How to reheat
You can easily reheated this soup in the microwave or in the pan on stovetop. It will taste great!
How to freeze
You can store this soup in freezer safe containers for up to three months in the freezer. Make sure to let the soup cool completely before freezing it.
What goes good with veggie soup?
I love serving this with crusty bread or rolls. It also pairs nicely with a salad.
What do I serve with beef stew?
This is a wonderful meal served over pasta or rice.
How do I spice up bland beef vegetable soup?
Add some crushed red pepper flakes or chili powder to the soup.
How do you serve soup?
I prefer to eat mine straight out of the pot. However, if you’d like to make it more fancy, you can ladle it into bowl of soup, and top each serving with a dollop of sour cream.