Pavlova is a classic Australian dessert that is easy to make. It is a light, delicious, and fluffy dessert. However, making them yourself can be tricky.
Luckily, other options are available if you want to buy a store-bought pavlova base. With the best store bought pavlova base, it is very easy and quick to make this perfect and beautiful dessert.
This article will look at what makes a good pavlova base and which ones are worth buying.
What is Pavlova Base?
Pavlova base, also known as meringue nest or meringue shell, or even meringue base, is the Meringue used to create a pavlova. The pavlova base is basically the nest that holds the pavlova fillings and toppings.
It is essentially egg whites whipped with sugar until stiff peaks form. The mixture is then baked in an oven for about 10 minutes or golden brown.
While they are often made from scratch, there are also some excellent store-bought alternatives. These are usually based on a meringue mix. A meringue mix contains all of the ingredients needed to make a pavlova base. Some mixes even include the eggs and cream of tartar.
The most common type of pavlova base comes from Australia. Therefore, it is called “Australian Meringue.” It is typically white in color and has a sweet flavor.
Other types of pavlova bases come from New Zealand and South Africa. They tend to be darker in color and less sweet than Australian Meringue.
What is the pavlova base made of?
The Meringue in the Pavlova base entails egg whites, granulated sugar (sugar granules), cornflour (cornstarch), white vinegar, or cream of tartar and vanilla extract.
The eggs are beaten to create stiff peaks before adding caster sugar gradually until everything in the meringue mixture is combined.
This creates an airy yet sturdy baked meringue on whipped cream to create soft peaks.
What’s the difference between pavlova base and meringue?
Both Meringue and pavlova are egg white desserts with a crisp texture. They both need to be whipped with sugar until they are fluffy and then baked at a low temperature.
However, the difference between Meringue and pavlova is that Meringue is crispy and dry throughout while pavlova is crispy on the outside but fluffy, soft, and marshmallow-like on the inside. A pavlova is a meringue-based dessert but not a classic meringue.
Why Do We Need Store-Bought Pavlova Base?
What is a store-bought pavlova base?
A store-bought pavlova base, also known as a ready-made pavlova base or premade pavlova base, is a product that is premade and ready to go. It doesn’t require any baking or whipping.
These bases are so simple that they can be prepared in just 5 minutes!
They contain everything you need to make a perfect pavlova. All you have to do is add your filling and topping and pop it in the oven.
There are two main types of store-bought pavlovas:
- Australian Meringue is the most popular type of pavlova base because it is very versatile. It can make different flavors such as chocolate, strawberry, lemon, etc.
- White Meringue – This type of pavlova is similar to Australian Meringue, except it uses more cream of tartar. This makes it slightly denser and gives it a creamy texture.
Why buy a premade pavlova base?
Pavlova is a simple dessert that may be prepared in just a few minutes. Pavlova base contains only three components- egg whites, sugar, and whipped cream.
However, some individuals struggle with the meringue-making procedure or require making the foundation ahead of time since it takes time to solidify in the refrigerator before serving.
If you are looking for a quick and easy way of preparing this dish, these will work well for you!
This pre-mixed mix may be used to make a simple dessert by combining it with whipped cream or vanilla pudding. It’s also ideal for individuals who aren’t sure about their baking abilities.
This can be stored at room temperature and is easily transportable, making it ideal for picnics and potluck events.
How to store the store-bought pavlova base?
Here are some tips on how to store your store-bought meringue shells.
- Put it in an airtight container with a layer of greaseproof paper or cling wrap on top (to keep it from sticking).
- Wrap tightly in cling film or foil (to prevent the crust from drying out).
- Place inside a zip lock bag before freezing to keep any leaks in check.
- After freezing, place in an airtight container sheet with parchment paper or baking sheet.
How long do meringues last?
Meringues last up to 3 weeks in your fridge. Once opened, you should keep them in an airtight container. You can freeze them too, but you might lose some of their texture.
Best Store Bought Pavlova Base: A Guide
Which pavlova bases are best?
There are several types of pavlova bases out there. Each has its unique qualities. Here are three of the most popular:
Whipped Cream Pavlova Base
This type of pavlova base combines egg whites and powdered sugar or castor sugar. It is pretty inexpensive and comes in various flavors such as chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry. It is excellent because it doesn’t require any cooking. Instead, mix the ingredients and put them into the oven.
Gelatin Pavlova Base
Another option is gelatin-based. These bases consist of gelatin powder and water. They are often sold in individual packets. To prepare these bases, simply add the packet to boiling water and let it dissolve. Then pour the solution over the meringue mixture and whisk everything together.
Marshmallow Fluff Pavlova Base
Marshmallow fluff is a thick foam that consists mainly of marshmallows. It is similar to whipped cream in appearance. It is perfect for those who like marshmallows. Just add the fluff to the meringue mixture instead of the powdered sugar.
Where can I buy store-bought pavlova bases?
Here are a few places where you can buy premade Pavlova bases:
- Supermarket – You may not think of going to your local supermarket for baking supplies, but they often carry premade Pavlovas in their bakery section.
- Cake Supply Stores – If the supermarket doesn’t have what you want, try the nearest cake supply stores.
- Amazon – Buy ready-made pavlova base at online store.
Some of the popular store-brought pavlova bases that you can buy at any grocery store or even online are:
- Woolworths Meringue Nest 10 pack (for individual pavlovas or mini meringues)
- Woolworths Pavlova Base
- Queen Meringue and Pavlova Powder Mix
- Coles Pavlova
- Coles Petit Pavlovas 9 pack (for mini pavlova)
- Tesco Finest Meringue Pavlova
- And many more.
So which one should I choose?
It depends on how much money you are willing to spend and whether you prefer a homemade version or a store-bought one.
We recommend going with the store-bought version because it is easier to use. Plus, you know exactly what you are getting.
At the same time, if you are looking for something cheap, go with the homemade version.
Making Pavlova Using Store-Bought Pavlova Base
Create your masterpiece of perfect dessert on a shop-bought pav base. It is very easy and quick.
Here is what you need to prepare and do for making this simple berry pavlova:
- Store-bought pavlova base
- Whipped cream or heavy cream (heavy whipping cream)
- Fresh fruit (fresh berries such as strawberries, kiwi fruit, blueberries, raspberries, peaches, passionfruit pulp, or any other seasonal fruits you want on your pavlova)
- Fresh mint leaves (for garnish)
- Strawberry jam for drizzle (optional)
- If you’re going to make layers of pavlova, repeat the steps above.
Making whipped cream:
- If you use heavy cream or thickened cream, you need to use an electric mixer to beat the cream in a clean bowl until soft peaks form.
- Place the meringue base on a flat plate
- For cream filling, cover with a layer of whipped cream using a clean spatula
- For the meringue topping, pour fresh fruits on top
- Drizzle with strawberry jam
- Sprinkle a bit of chopped mint on top
- Serve and enjoy the delicious dessert.
Can you buy a pavlova base?
Yes! You can buy pavlova bases from supermarkets, cake supply stores, Amazon, Woolworths, Coles, Tesco, etc.
How long does a store-bought pavlova base last?
The life span of a store-bought pavlova base depends on the brand and the packaging. Some brands have a shelf life of up to three years, while others only have six months.
If your pavlova collapse and meringue shells have cracked, it’s possible it was cooled too quickly.
What is the base of a pavlova?
A pavlova base is the main ingredient used to make a pavlova. It is essentially a type of Meringue.
Can you leave pavlova in the oven overnight?
If you bake a pavlova overnight, the bottom will become hard and dry. This means that the dessert won’t be as fluffy when served.
For soggy pavlova, you can try to dry them out in the oven.
Can I make a pavlova base in advance?
You can make pavlova in advance, even up to a few days.