Annabel Langbein is a well-known chef in New Zealand, author of the blog The Whole Pantry, and featured on many television cooking programs. Annabel Langbein’s ultimate pavlova recipe is one that she has perfected over her years as an experienced professional cook.
This meringue dessert is a winning recipe. It is Annabel’s all-time favorite recipe and Annabel Langbein’s Fantasy Pavlova.
The recipe includes all-natural ingredients such as egg whites, sugar, cornstarch, vinegar, and lemon juice, making it perfect for those trying to avoid processed foods or gluten.
With this easy-to-follow recipe, you can enjoy your favorite dessert guilt-free.
Getting to Know Annabel Langbein
Annabel Rose Langbein, a New Zealand celebrity cook and food writer, has published 25 cookbooks. She is best known for her three seasons of the TV show Annabel Langbein The Free Range Cook, which was launched in 2013 on NZ’s Television One network.
Langbein has been a food writer for magazines and TV shows worldwide since 1984. Her cookbooks include NZ Life & Leisure, Cuisine, and her publications in The New Zealand Herald’s Canvas magazine. She also appeared on various international television networks, including Saturday Kitchen UK.
Pavlova Recipe with Berry Compote
The dessert pavlova is a meringue-based dish traditionally topped with whipped cream and fresh fruit. But what if you want to change things up?
Enter berry compote, which can be made in advance and stored in the fridge for easy access. This topping adds some extra color contrast to the white-ish meringue base.
It also tastes wonderful – sweet and tart at the same time. And it’s so quick and easy! All you need is a handful of berries, sugar, water, and cornstarch – that’s it!
Annabel Langbein Ultimate Pavlova Recipe
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 65 minutes
- Serves: 8 – 10
For the meringue
- 6 egg whites at room temperature
- pinch of salt
- 1½ cups caster sugar
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp vinegar
For the topping
- 1 cup Berry Compote
- 3 punnets of fresh mixed berries, eg raspberries, blueberries, and hulled and halved strawberries
Making the Meringue
- Heat the oven to 180°C (not fan bake). Line a baking tray with baking paper and make a circle about 16cm in diameter with a plate.
- Place the egg whites into a clean bowl and beat until stiff. Slowly add sugar as you’re beating, so it doesn’t get too sweet or dry.
- Beat for about 10 minutes at high speed until the meringue is thick and glossy. It should be thick enough not to fall from the beater. Last of all, whisk in the cornflour and vinegar.
- Spoon the meringue into the circled area of baking paper. Form into a meringue circle and swirl with the spoon on the top rather than flattening to a neat, tidy disc.
- Bake at 180°C for 5 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 130°C and cook for a further hour. Turn off the oven and leave the pavlova to cool in the oven.
- Spoon Berry Compote over pavlova and scatter over mixed berries.
- Serve immediately.
Tips for a Perfect Pavlova
- To make a pavlova, you need an electric beater and egg whites that are not too fresh. If they are, the pavlova will weep.
- It’s important that your mixing utensils are scrupulously clean. The oil prevents the egg whites from reaching their full potential, so clean equipment and a glass or metal mixing bowl are necessary.
- Add the sugar gradually. That will give your mixture more volume and will ensure a better-finished product.
- Pavlovas must be cooked at a long slow, consistent temperature, and the oven door must never be opened once the pav starts cooking. When the Pavlova has finished cooking it must be left to cool in the oven to prevent it from collapsing.
- Pavlova can be cooked a couple of days ahead and stored in an airtight container or frozen.
What is Annabel Langbein Meringue?
Annabel Langbein’s Best Ever Meringue recipe is easy and can be made ahead. All you need is 5 ingredients. You can check the recipe here.
What Is Annabel Langbein Muffins?
There are three recipes for muffins by Chef Annabel Langbein:
- Whole Orange Muffins
- Apple Crumble Muffins
- Banana Bran Muffins
For recipes, please check here.
What Is Annabel Langbein Sponge Cake With Raspberries?
Annabel Langbein’s sponge cake recipe is called Berry Trifle. It is delicious layers of storebought sponge, berries, custard, and mascarpone. You can check the recipe here.