Ina Garten chicken pot pie recipe is a delicious way to enjoy your favorite comfort food. This dish has been on her show for years and it’s always a crowd-pleaser. The best part? It’s so easy to make! All you need are some basic pantry ingredients and about an hour in the kitchen.
Ina Garten is known for her delicious and easy-to-follow recipes. One of her most popular dishes is this famous Ina Garten Chicken Pot Pie Recipe. This recipe has been featured on TV, Ina’s cookbooks, and even Oprah!
Ina Garten is a celebrity chef, author, and television personality. She has been the host of her own cooking show for over 15 years called Barefoot Contessa on the Food Network.
So, what are you waiting for? Let’s check what it is all about.
Who Is Ina Garten?
Ina Garten is one of the most famous celebrity chefs in America. She hosts her own show, “The Barefoot Contessa,” and has written many best-selling cookbooks.
Ina Rosenberg Garten is a former staff member of the White House Office of Management and Budget. Garten’s mother-in-law bought her a subscription for Time-Life cookbooks series and influenced her.
Her recipes are often called the gold standard for American home cooking and have been featured on TV shows like Oprah, Rachel Ray, The Wendy Williams Show, Good Morning America, The Rachael Ray Show, and more.
Ina’s style is elegant but unpretentious; she believes that food can be a source of joy even if you’re not a professional chef.
What Food Is Ina Garten Known For?
Ina has a number of favorite Thanksgiving recipes. Several of them include sausage-stuffed mushrooms, turkey roulade, pumpkin spice cupcakes, balsamic-roasted Brussels sprouts, and Chicken Pot Pie.
What Is Chicken Pot Pie?
Chicken Pot Pie is a dish that has been eaten for centuries. It’s a casserole made with chicken, vegetables, and cream of wheat. This dish is usually served in the US as comfort food or on special occasions like Thanksgiving.
It’s not hard to see why this dish has a reputation for being comfort food. Chicken pot pie is traditionally made with a crispy crust and creamy filling, which are both guaranteed to make even the most down-in-the-dumps person smile.
In order to create this recipe, all you need is some flour, salt, butter or margarine, milk (or water), and an egg. And that’s it! The crust can be store-bought or homemade if you’re feeling ambitious; otherwise, just buy one of those pre-made pie crusts at the grocery store like I did.
What Does Pot Pie Mean?
Pot pie has many different meanings depending on where you are from. In the south, pot pies have cornbread crusts and can be served as an entree or a side dish. In New England, pot pies are traditionally made of leftover meat and vegetables in a creamy sauce that is topped with dough.
The same thing about all the above answers is that overall pot pie is pastry-covered meat and vegetables cooked in a deep dish. What do you think?
Are Pot Pies Healthy?
The delicious pot pies that will be available this holiday season are not the best options for those who have weight management goals.
The average, American adult should consume no more than 30% of their daily fat intake in one sitting and these tasty dishes typically provide about 33%. These frozen meals also contribute to your recommended cholesterol-raising saturated fats by providing 18%, which is a third of the maximum amount you can eat per day!
If you’re trying to keep up with dieting during this time period then stick to fresh vegetables like asparagus or green beans instead.
Why is Chicken Pot Pie Bad For You?
Chicken pot pies are hearty, creamy, and rich with filling foods. Fortunately, they’re also loaded with protein but regrettably not the kind your body needs for muscle growth or to keep you feeling satisfied longer.
FitDay writes that a Banquet frozen chicken pot pie contains 370 calories and 850 milligrams of sodium which is almost half an average adult’s daily intake when it comes to maintaining their weight loss goals!
What to Serve With Chicken Pot Pie?
You’ve just made a delicious, savory chicken pot pie and you’re looking for an appetizer or side to go with it. Check out this list of suggestions!
- Roasted Veggies.
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes.
- German Potato Salad.
- Glazed Carrots and Parsnips.
- Corn on the Cob.
Ina Garten Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
How does Ina Garten make chicken pot pie?
This recipe is a beginner-level dish that is for 6 to 8 serves.
- 3 whole (6 split) chicken breasts, bone-in, skin-on
- 3 tablespoons good olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 5 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 12 tablespoons (1½ sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions (2 onions)
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 2 cups medium-diced carrots (4 carrots), blanched for 2 minutes
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen peas (2 cups) (not defrosted)
- 1½ cups frozen small whole onions (not defrosted)
- ½ cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, defrosted in the fridge
- 1 egg mixed with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the chicken breasts on a sheet pan and rub them with olive oil. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper before placing in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes, until cooked through.
- Wait until the chicken cools before you can handle it. Then, discard any bones and skin that are left on there when you’re done cooking. Once all of your meat is chopped up into cubes no bigger than ¾ inch in size, set aside for later use!
- In a small saucepan, heat the chicken stock and dissolve the chicken cubes in the stock.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt the butter and sauté your onions for 10 to 15 minutes over medium-low heat! Once they’re translucent, add flour. Cook for 2 minutes while stirring constantly.
- Add the hot chicken stock mixture and simmer over low heat for one minute, stirring constantly, until thick.
- Add 2 teaspoons salt, ½ teaspoon pepper, and the cream. Stir in the chicken, carrots, peas, onions, and parsley.
- Spoon the batter into an oval or rectangular baking dish and place it on a sheet pan lined with aluminum foil.
- Unfold a sheet of puff pastry on top of the chicken and vegetable mixture. Then, cut 3 slits in it to let out some steam as you cook.
- Brush the pastry with an egg wash and cook for 30 to 40 minutes. The crust will be golden brown while your beef stew is bubbling hot!
- Serve hot.
How Do You Reheat A Chicken Pot Pie?
Do you have some leftover chicken pot pie and want to reheat it? Here’s how.
- Set the microwave to the lowest power setting.
- Slice the chicken pot pie into several pieces.
- Place one slice in the oven at a time. Set the time for 2 minutes.
- The pie filling should be heated. If not, set the timer for another minute on low heat.
- Once the pie is heated to your liking, serve and enjoy!