Do you love oysters? If so, you’re going to love this recipe.
In this blog post, we will show you how to cook oysters in muffin tin. This is the best way to make them, and it’s really easy! All you need is a few simple ingredients and a muffin tin.
Let’s get started!
What We Need to Know About Oysters
What is an oyster?
Oysters are mollusks that belong to the Bivalve family. A mollusk has one shell and an animal with a soft body. The Bivalve family includes clams, mussels, scallops, and oysters.
How do I know if my oysters are fresh?
When buying raw oysters, look for bright green coloration around the edges of the oyster shells. The shells should be tightly closed and the meat will feel firm when pressed.
If you see any signs of decay, discard them immediately.
Oysters contain high levels of zinc, vitamin D, iron, calcium, protein, and omega 3 fatty acids.
These nutrients help protect against heart disease, cancer, diabetes, arthritis, and depression. Eating oysters may also reduce cholesterol levels.
Shucked and Unshucked Oysters: What’s the Difference?
When you go to purchase oysters, you’ll notice two different types available: unshucked and shucked.
Shucked oysters have been removed from their shells and are ready to eat.
Unshucked oysters still have their shells on and must be cleaned and prepared before eating.
Pre-shucked oysters are a type of shucked oyster. They have been removed from their shells and cleaned, but they have not been frozen or processed in any way.
How to Prepare Oysters?
How do I clean oysters?
To clean your oysters, place them in a bowl filled with cold water. Swirl the oysters around to remove any debris from their shells. Then, remove them from the water and rinse them well under running tap water.
How do I store oysters?
Store your oysters in the refrigerator up to three days after opening. Do not freeze them.
How do I prepare oysters?
To prepare your oysters, use a paring knife to cut off the top hinge of each shell. Then, place them upside down on a cutting board so that the flat side faces down.
Using a sharp knife, slice through the flesh until it opens. Discard the top half of the shell and eat the bottom half.
How long does it take to open oysters?
It takes approximately 10 minutes to open an oyster. You can speed up this process by placing the oysters in ice water prior to cooking.
How do I serve oysters?
Serve oysters with lemon wedges, cocktail sauce, or other condiments.
How to Cook Oysters in Muffin Tin
What type of oysters are to be cooked in a muffin tin?
For the methods of cooking or baking oysters in a muffin tin, you usually use the shucked and clean oysters.
It is because there are no special requirements for preparing the oysters. However, it is better to choose the oysters that are still alive.
Why do you use muffin tin for baking oysters?
Muffin tins are ideal for baking small amounts of food. It is because they are easy to handle and convenient to bake.
The size of the cup in the muffin tin is just perfect for oysters. Also, they are made of non-stick material which makes cleaning easier.
Therefore, using this metal muffin pan for baking seafood is more practical than using regular baking dishes.
How many oysters can fit into a muffin tin?
Depending on the size of the muffin tin, you can put 6 to 8 oysters in a single muffin tin.
Recipe for Oysters
Easy Oven Baked Oysters
Oven baked oysters with a cheesy sauce are topped with a buttery combination of garlic, herbs, and white wine.
- 2 dozen oysters (raw)
- 1 cup unsalted butter divided
- 1/2 cup green onions chopped
- 5 cloves fresh garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon Worchestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 ounce white wine
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 loaf French bread or saltine crackers
- In a medium saucepan, melt 1/2 cup butter over medium heat.
- Add green onions, garlic, red pepper, thyme, oregano, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, and Creole seasoning to the pot.
- Sauté butter mixture for two minutes. Add white wine.
- Continue to sauté until the green onions are soft, stirring frequently.
- Remove saucepan from the heat and allow to cool for 3 minutes.
- Add the remaining 1/2 cup of butter to the sauce. Stir until the butter is completely melted and the sauce has a smooth texture.
- Place one oyster in the center of each cup in a muffin pan.
- Place one tablespoon of the butter garlic sauce on top of each oyster.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes, or until the butter begins bubbly brown and the oysters rise.
- Remove the dish from the oven and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Continue to bake for an additional 1-2 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately with warm French bread for dipping sauce.
- 2 pt fresh oysters
- 2 pkg 10 oz frozen chopped spinach (or you can use fresh spinach)
- 10 slices of your favorite bacon (oven prepared)
- 1/2 c asiago cheese, grated
- 1/2 c mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp bread crumbs, seasoned
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp butter (1/4 stick of butter)
- Prepare your spinach (package instructions) drain well separately and set aside.
- Place your bacon on a baking sheet in a single layer cook 10-12 minutes at 350* remove from oven and place on paper dish towel to drain, then chop in small pieces.
- Grate your asiago and mozzarella cheese and place in separate bowl.
- Lastly, place your oysters in a medium bowl and gently pick through for shell particles.
- Add your cooked spinach to 2tbs of melted butter in a large skillet and gently saute 2-3 minutes over medium-high heat.
- Add 4-5 pieces bacon & garlic powder and saute another 2 minutes
- Finally, add your grated asiago cheese over top of your spinach mixture, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and remove from heat.
- Take a muffin pan and grease the tin with cooking spray. Place two of your prepared oysters in each cup.
- Place your spinach mixture over the top, sprinkle lightly with crumb mixture, add your grated mozzarella over the top of your spinach and sprinkle with remaining crispy bacon pieces.
- Place in the oven for 4-5 minutes at 400 degrees (or until the shredded cheese on top becomes melty), switch oven to broil and cook until the tops become a golden brown.
- Remove the baking pan from the oven, and carefully spoon mixture onto your plate of choice.
- Serve over the top of a toasted french bread point or crusty bread.
Tips & Tricks
- Make sure to buy only fresh oysters. Avoid those that smell bad or have any sign of rot.
- To keep your oysters fresh, store them in the refrigerator.
- When preparing oysters, make sure they’re cooked properly. They should be opened at the hinge and eaten while still warm.
- For best results, use a sharp knife to open the oysters.
- Don’t forget to garnish your dish with some lemon juice and parsley.
- Try serving your oysters with cocktails like Bloody Mary’s, Cajun Shrimp Cocktail, or Mojitos.
- If you want to add more flavor to your dishes, try adding a few drops of Tabasco sauce.
- Use a wooden spoon to stir your food instead of a whisk. This allows you to avoid breaking delicate ingredients.
- Always wash your hands before handling raw foods.
What’s the best way to cook an oyster?
The best way to cook an oyster is by either baking, grilling, or frying them.
What’s the best way to cook oysters in the shell?
The best way to cook oysters in the shell is by baking them.
Can you bake oysters without shucking them?
Yes, you can bake oysters without shucking them—instead, simply place the oysters in a muffin tin and top with your favorite ingredients.
What is the healthiest way to cook oysters?
The healthiest way to cook oysters is by baking them. This allows you to avoid adding unhealthy fats and oils.