There are many ways to cook oysters, but have you ever considered how to cook oysters in air fryer?
This article will walk you through how to do just that and how long to cook oysters in the air fryer. You don’t need a ton of ingredients or even much prep time!
The best part is that it’s easy, and the cleanup is minimal. Read on for more information.
What are Oysters?
Oysters are a type of bivalve mollusk.
They are marine creatures that live in saltwater and grow on the bottom of tidal areas around rocks, reefs, or sand bars.
There are many types of oysters in the world, but only a handful grows in U.S. waters and can be eaten – Atlantic, Pacific, or Kumamoto Oyster, among others.
What Do Oysters Taste Like?
Oysters have a briny taste, but they can also be sweet and delicious.
They are gluten-free and low in calories and sodium, making them great to include on any diet menu plan, especially for those watching their weight or blood pressure levels.
What Does an Oyster Consist of?
For the most part, an oyster has one shell.
The oyster’s meat is located inside that shell, and attached to a muscle with which it can open and close and attach itself to surfaces such as rocks or piers.
The muscles in the shells are what we eat when we consume them!
How Do We Eat Oysters?
Raw is one of the most common methods of enjoying raw oysters. But they can also be cooked, breaded and fried, roasted in an oven or grilled on a BBQ, baked in casserole dishes, or wrapped up in bacon for extra flavor!
Oysters are best cooked fresh, but it’s also great to buy them already shucked. If you’re cooking oysters at home – purchase them one day before the meal and keep them refrigerated until ready for use.
Are Oysters Healthy?
Here are the health benefits of consuming oysters.
Oysters are high-end luxury food for most people. They’re exotic, so it makes sense that they’re not something we consume daily. This adds to the allure of oysters, which entices many people to want to try them.
Many people don’t know that they’re also quite beneficial in terms of nutrition. They provide the following health advantages, so you may be more inclined to consume them:
- Raw oysters are known to have aphrodisiac qualities. Scientists confirmed that there is some truth to the notion that consuming raw oysters can improve your libido.
- It’s low-calorie meat. A half-dozen medium-sized oysters will only set you back 45 calories. If you air fries them, the numbers won’t substantially rise, so it may also be an excellent method for dieters to enjoy shellfish without having too much of an impact on their calorie intake.
- They’re high in protein. A 100g serving of oysters provides 9 grams of proteins.
- It’s high in omega-3 fatty acids. It’s a great source of good cholesterol, too. This makes the heart healthy as well.
- It can assist with wound healing and the strengthening of your immune system. It has a zinc content that may help your body aid in the recovery from various forms of injury and damage more effectively.
- It’s high in other compounds that are beneficial to one’s health. Calcium, phosphorus, copper, iron, and selenium are all present.
Where to Buy Oysters?
There are multiple ways to purchase oysters.
You can buy them fresh at some seafood markets. But they’ll usually cost more than if you were buying them shucked and canned.
If you can find a market that specializes in shellfish or even has products available for wholesale distribution, then ask the person working there about how you can get oysters.
If you can’t find any oysters at a market, you can order them online. They will be fresh, and it is easy to buy them.
Air Fryer Oysters
Can You Air Fry Oysters?
Can you fry oysters in an air fryer? Yes, you can fry oysters in an air fryer! This cooking method is quick and easy, and it yields delicious results.
The key is to use a light coating of oil and to cook them for a short amount of time at a high temperature.
Why Do You Cook Oysters in an Air Fryer?
It is easy and efficient when you cook your oysters in an air fryer.
As some traditional recipes call for, you will not have to use any oil or grease.
The only thing that needs to be done is for the tray to be lightly greased with cooking spray before placing them on there. That way, they are not sticking together when you try to cook them.
It is a healthy and easy way to prepare oysters which you’ll enjoy thoroughly!
How Long to Cook Oysters in the Air Fryer?
How Long to Cook Air Fryer Oysters in the Shell?
It takes about 3 minutes to cook oysters in the shell in an air fryer at 400 degrees F.
Just be sure to give them a quick rinse before cooking to remove any excess sand or grit.
And if you’re using shucked oysters, remember to subtract about 1 minute from the cooking time since they’ll cook a bit faster. Enjoy!
How Long to Cook Fried Oysters in Air Fryer (No Shell)?
Depending on the size of your oysters, they will take anywhere from 3 to 5 minutes to cook. Make sure to shake the basket a few times during cooking to ensure even browning.
Fried oysters are a delicious seafood snack, and they’re surprisingly easy to make in an air fryer. The air fried oysters make a great appetizer for parties or game day gatherings, and they’re also perfect for a quick and easy weeknight dinner.
How to Cook Oysters in Air Fryer?
How to Air Fry Oysters?
To how to fry oysters in air fryer, the general steps are as follow:
- Start by heating your air fryer to 390 degrees F.
- Rinse the oysters under cold water and place them in a single layer on the air fryer tray.
- Sprinkle some Old Bay seasoning over the top of the oysters and spray them with cooking oil.
- Air fry for 3-4 minutes or until they are golden brown. Enjoy!
What spices to use with oysters?
Oyster shells taste good without any added seasonings as they are, but some people like to add little bits of flavor such as garlic or dill into them if desired. You could even try adding salt and pepper or even a little bit of hot sauce to your oysters if you want some added spice.
What sauces go with oyster shells?
Try pairing your air-fried shellfish with the following items such as cocktail or tartar sauce, garlic butter, lemon juice, and zest, horseradish for an appetizer or main dish paired with vegetables, or even cream cheese with chives and bacon bits.
How to cook frozen oysters?
Cooking them in an air fryer is the best way to prepare them as it will not take long at all for your shells to open up so they are ready for eating! Simply place your pre-shucked oysters on a tray that is greased with cooking spray and cook them for about five minutes.
Tips for cooking oysters in the air fryer
- Try heating up your oysters for about five minutes before adding them to the air fryer basket. This will help loosen their shells even more so they are easier to open when cooking.
- Use a rack that cradles the oyster shells and not one that lays flat on top of them as this can cause some spillage when they begin to open.
- Be sure not to overcook your oysters as this can make them rubbery and unpalatable. They will need at least five minutes of cooking time in most cases if you are using an air fryer or oven method for cooking them, but it is best to check with a fork after about three minutes to see if they are ready.
- Try adding a dash of salt and pepper or even garlic powder, cayenne pepper, lemon zest, dried parsley flakes, dill weed, or other spices you desire for extra flavor into your oysters before cooking them in an air fryer!
- Feel free to add some cheese to the half-shell oysters before cooking them in an air fryer for a tasty and easy-to-eat treat.
Air Fried Oysters Recipe
Do you want to try to air fry oysters? Here are several simple recipes:
Crispy Air Fryer Fried Oysters Recipe
Cook time: 8 minutes.
- 2 cans oysters in a can, in water, 8 oz each
- 1/2 c flour
- 1 tsp cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp hot sauce
- 2 c Panko bread crumbs
- 1 lemon
- Drain the oysters and lay them on a few paper towels to dry.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine flour, cajun seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- In a second mixing dish, whisk the eggs and hot sauce.
- In a third bowl pour in the Panko breadcrumbs.
- Each oyster is dipped in flour, then the egg mixture, and then Panko to coat it.
- Spray the air fryer basket with nonstick spray and lay the coated pieces in single layer into it.
- Cook for 6 minutes at 350°F, then gently shake the basket and cook for an additional 4 minutes. Serve with a squeeze of lemon on top.
Air Fryer Oysters with Cheesy Lemon Garlic Butter Recipe
This air fryer oysters no breading is aNew Orleans-style fried oysters recipe on the half shelf, filled with a lemony, garlicky, and butter sauce.
Topped with cheese and air-fried until the cheese has melted and turned golden brown. Serve with toasted bread to soak up all of that delicious buttery sauce.
- 8 oysters on the half shell
- 1/2 stick butter, room temperature or melted (4 oz)
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (~1/2 lemon)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
- salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- In a mixing dish, combine the butter, garlic, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, cheese, salt, pepper, cayenne, and parsley. Set aside.
- Preheat the air fryer to 350°F/180°C. Place the oysters on an air fryer tray/basket and cook for a minute or two, or until the juice begins to bubble.
- Using a wooden spoon, drizzle 1 tablespoon of the butter mixture over each oyster; top with the cheese and cook until golden brown, about 4-5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the parsley and serve immediately with bread, lemon wedges, hot sauce, bread, and more butter if desired. Yum!
How Do You Cook Oysters?
How Do You Usually Cook Oysters?
Oysters can be a main dish, appetizer, or even dessert! The most popular way to eat them is raw on the half-shell with horseradish and lemon juice.
They are also often cooked in sauces such as garlic butter sauce which adds an amazing flavor profile. They can be roasted, grilled, breaded and fried, baked in a casserole with cheese on top, or even wrapped up in bacon.
How to Clean Oyster Shells?
Before prepping your oysters, you’ll need to clean them. To do so – scrub the shells with a vegetable brush under cold running water until all dirt is removed and rinse well.
How Do You Know When the Oysters are Done?
When the shells open up, they are cooked.
Do not overcook them, or you will have a rubbery texture that is difficult to chew through with no flavor.
If your oysters don’t open on their own when cooking them, try this method next time. Boil water and pour it into a large bowl. Once the water is boiling, place your oysters for about three minutes to cook them.
What to Serve with Oysters?
Traditionally, oysters are served with a horseradish sauce and lemon wedges.
They can be paired with other items such as bacon or garlic bread, to make them even more appetizing if you desire.
It’s also common for those that serve shellfish to bake your favorite type of cheese on the half-shell with the oysters.
How long does it take to cook oysters?
It is best to cook oysters for about five minutes. This will help loosen their shells so they are easier to open when cooking.
However, it is recommended that you check after three-minute intervals as overcooking the oysters can make them rubbery and unpalatable.
How long to cook oysters in the air fryer?
Generally, it takes about 5 – 10 minutes for your oyster shells to open up and be ready for serving or cooking further as needed. However, it also depends on the cooking method and the temperature. The time will also vary depending on the size of your oysters and your air fryer.
Make sure you use a rack that cradles the oysters. You don’t want to lose some of their juice when their shells begin to open.
What temperature do you cook oysters?
It is best to cook oysters at 350°F/180°C for about five minutes, but it is best to check with a fork after three minutes.
Do you rinse oysters before frying?
No, it is best to keep the oysters in the can or jar if you cook them in an air fryer so they retain their juices.
This will also help give them more flavor; however, be sure to drain any excess water from canned oysters before frying otherwise, your breading may not stick properly.
What’s the best way to cook oysters?
It is best to cook oysters on the half shell or in a can/jar as they retain their natural juices better. This will also help give them more flavor; however, be sure to drain any excess water from canned oysters before frying otherwise, your breading may not stick properly.
See also: How to Cook King Crab Legs in Air Fryer?