Are you a sausage roll enthusiast looking for the best spots to get your fix in Melbourne? You don’t have to look any further!
We’ve gathered a list of the 10 best places to find delicious, fantastic sausage rolls. The list is here from Tivoli’s classics, Candied’s Chinese style ones, to Smith & Deli’s vegan sausage rolls. No matter what your cravings are, there is something for everyone!
So grab a snack (not a sausage roll – yet!) and explore some of Melbourne’s finest eateries. Whether you want veggie-friendly options, value-for-money picks, or an indulgent treat – we got you covered with this must-try list!
10 Best Sausage Rolls in Melbourne
#1 Tivoli Road Bakery (South Yarra)
- Recommended sausage rolls: Pork and fennel sausage rolls
- Address: 3 Tivoli Rd, South Yarra VIC 3141, Australia
- Website: http://www.tivoliroad.com.au/
” … the best pie & sausage roll we’ve ever tried, and we’ve tried a fair bit of these from other places. The pastry’s so buttery & flaky, and the meat filling’s generous & of high gourmet quality. It’s located in a nice little bakery/cafe in a leafy suburb… “
” …. The pork sausage roll is also tasty, but it tastes much better with the sauce, which is a little sweet.????… “
#2 Loafer Bread Organic Bakery (North Fitzroy)
- Recommended sausage rolls: Organic grass-fed beef and roasted vegetable sausage rolls, Mushroom sausage rolls
- Address: 146 Scotchmer St, Fitzroy North VIC 3068, Australia
- Website: https://www.loaferbread.com/
“These guys make the best sausage rolls I have ever tasted. Hands down. The flakey pastry, the chutney, and the meat and herb combinations ?. “
” … and you gotta try the homemade sausage rolls. Everything here is made with soul, with the best quality ingredients. And the staff are awsm, … “
#3 Candied Bakery (Spotswood)
- Recommended sausage rolls: Char siu sausage rolls
- Address: 81A Hudsons Rd, Spotswood VIC 3015, Australia
- Website: http://candiedbakery.com.au/
” … We also had the sausage rolls (both char-siu and beef sausage rolls). The beef was amazing. The char-siu was still nice. Beautifully Asian-inspired flavours too. … “
” One of Melbourne’s best bakeries, and the queues on the weekend do not lie. Be it bread, pies, sausage rolls, it’s all quality and some of the tastiest stuff in the west… “
#4 Oasis (Murrumbeena)
- Recommended sausage rolls: Lebanese lamb sausage rolls
- 9/993 North Rd, Murrumbeena VIC 3163, Australia
- 92-96 Station St, Fairfield VIC 3078, Australia
- Website: http://www.oasisonline.com.au/
” … the plates are just great, as are the lamb sausage rolls! Definitely recommend … “
#5 Meatsmith – Specialty Butcher & Wine Merchant (Fitzroy, St. Kilda, and Brighton)
- Recommended sausage rolls: Pork, mustard, and thyme sausage rolls
- 273 Smith St, Fitzroy VIC 3065, Australia
- 227A Barkly St, St Kilda VIC 3182, Australia
- 612 Hampton St, Brighton VIC 3186, Australia
- Website: http://meatsmith.com.au/
” Hi, just bought some sausage rolls from here with instructions on how to cook, tried them and OMG, simply amazing taste and quality, best sausage rolls ever tasted, they do not disappoint … ” (Fitzroy)
“Not pictured here, but the sausage rolls are humongous” (Brighton)
#6 Smith & Deli (Collingwood)
- Recommended sausage rolls: Vegan sausage rolls
- Address: 107 Cambridge St, Collingwood VIC 3066, Australia (moved from Fitzroy in late 2021)
- Website: http://www.smithanddaughters.com/
” ,,, I enjoyed a tasty sausage roll and an awesome peanut butter and chocolate brownie topped donut for lunch ???? … “
#7 Tony’s Pies (Essendon)
- Recommended sausage rolls: Classis sausage rolls, Lasagne sausage rolls
- Address: 309 Buckley St, Essendon VIC 3040, Australia
- Website: http://www.tonyspies.com/
” … that has been known to many for years as a family favorite. Serving an amazing library of pies and sausage rolls, I had to try it out! “
” Best pie I’ve had in a long time. Sausage roll was also delicious! Coffee was okay. I will be back for more pies! “
#8 Wonder Pies (Bulleen)
- Recommended sausage rolls: Lamb & beef sausage rolls
- Address: 4B Kim Cl, Bulleen VIC 3105, Australia
- Website: http://www.wonderpies.com.au/
” I had a selection of pies and sausage rolls today. 8 different types in total (We have 6 kids), including vegetarian options. All of which was absolutely delicious, even by the fussiest critics’ standards… “
“Delicious pies and sausage rolls with a heap of flavors to choose from. Highly recommend! “
#9 All Are Welcome (Northcote, Thornbury)
- Recommended sausage rolls: Italian pork sausage rolls
- 190 High St, Northcote VIC 3070, Australia
- 887 High St, Thornbury VIC 3071, Australia
- Website: https://all-are-welcome.com/
“They have some awesome breads and pastries, but I have never paid $10 for a sausage roll bit overpriced.”
“The sausage roll is other-worldly”
#10 Molly Dene Bakehouse (Bentleigh)
- Recommended sausage rolls: Gourmet Lasagne Rolls
- Address: 169 Centre Rd, Bentleigh VIC 3204, Australia
- Website: https://www.instagram.com/mollydene/
” … and I love the pies and sausage rolls. Highly recommend”
” … The Pies and sausage rolls are amazing and worth the awards they have won…”
About Sausage Roll
What is it?
A sausage roll consists of ground meat mixed with spices, wrapped in pastry, and baked until golden brown.
They are generally famous in current and former Commonwealth nations. They are sold at retail outlets and available from bakeries as takeaway food.
They are often served as an appetizer or snack at parties or other gathering events, although they can also be eaten for lunch or dinner if desired!
What is it made of?
Most sausage rolls are made with pork and beef, although variations using chicken or vegetarian ingredients are becoming more common.
The meat is typically mixed with breadcrumbs, onion, salt, pepper, and other spices before being wrapped in pastry.
Where did it originate from?
Sausage rolls have been around for centuries, dating back to Ancient Roman times. They were initially made with a mixture of pork and beef, but they have evolved to include various meats and flavors over time.
The modern-day sausage roll is made from pork or beef mixed with cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice (also known as “pimento”).
Around the World
Do they have sausage rolls in America?
Americans don’t know what a sausage roll is, but they have their version of the sausage roll called “pigs in a blanket”.
This is usually made with ground beef and wrapped in pastry dough.
Sausage rolls in other countries
Sausage rolls go by different names in different countries.
In the UK and former Commonwealth nations, including Australia, they are called “sausage rolls.”
Similar meat and pastry recipes include the Czech klobásník, the Dutch saucijzenbroodje, the German Münsterländer Wurstbrötchen and sausage bread in the United States.
The city of Hong Kong has developed its sausage roll style. The Hong Kong-style “sausage bun,” in contrast to the typical western form, consists of a sausage wrapped inside a soft milk bread-style bun.
So, the next time you travel or live in a foreign country, don’t ask for a sausage roll or the country’s version. They might not have them at every restaurant, but they’ll satisfy your cravings when you find them.
Are sausage rolls British or Australian?
Sausage rolls originated in the United Kingdom, but they are popular in Commonwealth nations including Australia.
What is a sausage roll called in America?
Americans call their version of the sausage roll “pigs in a blanket” or “sausage bread.”
Why are sausage rolls bad for you?
Sausage rolls are not typically considered to be healthy foods. They are high in fat and calories, and they can also be high in sodium.
What pastry is sausage rolls made from?
Sausage rolls are typically made from puff pastry or shortcrust pastry.