Aussie hand pies are a delicious, unique treat that is perfect for summer. They are the ultimate portable dessert and can be eaten at any time of day!
Unlike traditional pies, these little guys have a pastry crust instead of pie crust. The filling is usually made up of fruits such as strawberries or raspberries; it’s also common to see custard-filled Aussie hand pies.
The Aussie hand pie originated in Australia but has become popular all over the world because people love their taste and convenience!
What are Aussie Hand Pies and how do they differ from other pies?
Aussie Hand Pies are a traditional Australian dessert and can be found at most bakeries around the country.
The main difference between Aussie Hand Pies and other pies is that they’re typically sold as individual portions rather than full pies to-go. They are usually eaten with one’s hands as opposed to cut into slices using a knife.They also tend to be smaller in size than American hand pies, which makes them more portable than their larger counterparts!
Aussie Hand Pies are small pie that is usually filled with meat and vegetables. They differ from other pies because they have a pastry crust instead of a pie crust, which makes them easier to eat on the go.
The history behind this food comes from the Australian-Irish immigrants who created this dish as an alternative to traditional pies, which were hard to transport in Australia’s hot climate and difficult for workers during their long days at work.
Aussie Hand Pies can be found all around the country but mostly in Queensland where it has become part of our culture. Australians love eating these pies when watching sports matches or sitting down with family over dinner time.
Why should I make them at home?
Aussie hand pies are perfect for a quick and easy meal. Plus, they’re a great way to use up leftovers from the fridge.
They can be made in under an hour with limited ingredients, and they taste great! These pies are also perfect for picnics or barbecues because they don’t require any utensils to eat from. Aussie hand pies are fast, delicious, and convenient.
How to Make Aussie Hand Pies?
Aussie Hand Pies are a traditional Australian sweet, and these easy-to-follow instructions will have you making them in no time. The hand pies are made with puff pastry dough, which is very simple to make. You can fill the pies with any flavor that your heart desires.
There are many different types of pies, but one that has become more popular in recent years is the Aussie hand pie. Hand pies can be filled with a variety of ingredients and toppings, including meat, vegetables, and sauces. You can eat them for lunch or dinner or as an appetizer at parties.
They’re also easy to make – you just need flour, egg wash (egg plus water), cold butter cut into small pieces, salt & pepper for seasoning and filling ingredients like ham & cheese or bacon & potatoes.
How to make the dough?
There are many different ways to make dough for Aussie meat pies. The most common is the traditional method, which involves combining flour and water together to form a soft dough.
This is then rolled out into two circles before being filled with beef mince or minced lamb and vegetables of your choice. It’s then sealed around the edges before baking in an oven until golden brown and crispy on top.
You can either serve these as they are or you can cut them up into wedges like pizza slices, depending on what suits your fancy best!
The filling can be anything you want!
Australian meat pies come in all sorts of different flavors and varieties, with the most common being beef or chicken. Some other fillings include lamb, pork, veal, cheese, and spinach. What’s your favorite filling?
In Australia, we love our pies! In fact, it’s estimated that Australians eat around 12 million Aussie Meat Pies per year so you’re not alone if you’ve been looking for a good recipe to try out at home.
And while there are so many different types of pie recipes to choose from (sweet or savory), the most popular type is going to be an Australian meat pie.
Australian Meat Pie Ingredients
Aussie hand pies are a delicious and satisfying treat. They’re easy to make, too!
What ingredients do I need?
You’ll need flour, butter or margarine, salt, eggs, and water.
How to make them?
- The dough is made from the above ingredients and kneaded for five minutes before being rested in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- After resting time has passed, divide into four pieces of equal size (make sure they don’t stick together) then roll out each piece so that it’s about three-quarters of an inch thick.
- Place a spoonful of filling on one half of the circle with enough space at either edge for crimping up to create a seal before folding.
- Place the pastry over the top to cover, pressing down on the edges with a fork and seal in your filling. Make sure you make small cross-incisions in order for steam to escape from your pie!
- Brush the egg yolk over the surface of the pie, then bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes or until the pastry is golden. Serve immediately.
Tips for cooking and serving hand pies
Hand pies are one of the simplest and most satisfying treats you can make, but they’re also surprisingly difficult to get right. And that’s because there are so many variables that can go wrong.
- You have to know how much dough is needed for each pie, or else it won’t come out properly
- You have to choose the best filling ingredients, or else your hand pies will be too dry or too wet
- And you need a good technique for sealing up all those little edges – otherwise your pies will leak!
But don’t worry: with these tips in mind, this should be easy enough even if it’s your first time making hand pies.
Hand pies are a hot trend in the food industry. They’re small, handheld pies that can be made with any kind of crust and filling you want. But how do you serve them? Here are a few tips for serving hand pies!
- If your pie is already baked, put it on a tray lined with parchment paper or tin foil to keep the bottom from getting soggy
- Don’t forget to use tongs when handling hand pies because they’ll be too hot otherwise (and that’s just dangerous)
- Use cake stands, which come in various heights and colors, or plates to make sure your guest has enough room to eat their pie comfortably.
Do you love eating hand pies but don’t know how to store them? Here are some tips for storing your favorite pastry.
- Leave the package unopened and cover with aluminum foil or plastic wrap until ready to eat.
- Place in a bag, seal tightly, and refrigerate within two hours of purchase or if it’s too hot outside (over 90 degrees).
- Freeze immediately after opening and place in an airtight container before freezing solid to prevent freezer burn around the edges of the pie crusts!
The Original Australian Meat Pie Recipe
Australian Meat Pie contains a tomato-based sauce with minced meat inside a flaky, crispy dough.
Prepare your 8-ounce ramekins. If you’d prefer your pies to appear more like traditional pies, you could also get some disposable 5-inch tins. Amazon sells these reusable mini pie tins, which are ideal for hand pies.
- Prep Time:30 minutes
- Cook Time:40 minutes
- Total Time:1 hour 10 minutes
Australian Meat Pie Crust Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup water
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt. Add in the shortening and mix until coarse crumbs form. Stir in enough water to make a dough that can be handled.
- Wrap the ball of dough in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Place the dough on a floured counter or board and roll it into a 6-inch circle about 1/8 inch thick.
Aussie Meat Pie Pastry Recipe
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup vegetable shortening
- 1/3 cup plus 1 Tbsp ice water
- Combine the flour, sugar, and salt in a mixing bowl. Using a pastry cutter or two knives held together, cut in 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter until you have pea-sized pieces. Add 1/4 cup solid vegetable shortening next.
- Work in the butter and vegetable shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs with some pea-sized pieces.
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon ice water should be added. Pour the liquid over the flour and fat mixture. The dough should not be smooth (nearly raggedy).
- Divide the dough in half, press each half into a flat disk, and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, preferably for several hours or overnight, before rolling out.
- The dough may also be frozen for up to 6 months and then defrosted prior to rolling.
Australian Hand Pies Recipes
Ingredients for the meat filling
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup beef stock
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon bbq sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Meat Filling
- Heat oil in a medium pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook until soft. Stir in the ground beef and cook until browned, breaking up any larger lumps.
- Mix 1 tbsp of stock with corn starch; carefully add the beef to the pan and stir.
- Add remaining stock and sauces to the beef mixture. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer, then cook for 5 minutes. Allow to cool.
Making the Meat Pie
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spoon the filling into each pie pan. Place pre-cut puff pastry or pie crust round on top of each.
- Place pies in the oven for approximately 40 minutes or until the puff pastry is golden brown.
What are Aussie meat pies called?
Aussie meat pies are typically called simply “meat pies.” However, depending on the region, they may also be called “sausage rolls,” “mince pies,” or even “mutton pies.” What all of these pies have in common is that they are savory pies typically filled with minced meat and gravy.
What is the most popular pie in Australia?
This is a difficult question to answer as there are many pies that are popular in Australia. However, if we had to choose just one, it would probably be the meat pie. Meat pies are a staple of Australian cuisine and can be found in most cafes and bakeries.
Is meat pie an Australian thing?
Although meat pie is definitely a popular dish in Australia, it is not exclusive to Australia. Meat pies can be found in many countries around the world, including the United Kingdom, New Zealand, and Canada. However, the Australian meat pie does have its own unique twist that sets it apart from other meat pies.
What do Aussies eat with meat pies?
Aussies typically eat meat pies with a side of chips (fries) and a dollop of tomato sauce (ketchup). However, they can also be eaten on their own as a snack or meal.