Aussie hand pies are a delicious, unique treat that is perfect for summer. They are the ultimate portable dessert and can be eaten at any time of day!
Unlike traditional pies, these little guys have a pastry crust instead of pie crust. The filling is usually made up of fruits such as strawberries or raspberries; it’s also common to see custard-filled Aussie hand pies.
The Aussie hand pie originated in Australia but has become popular all over the world because people love their taste and convenience!
What are Aussie Hand Pies and how do they differ from other pies?
Aussie Hand Pies are a traditional Australian dessert, and can be found at most bakeries around the country.
The main difference between Aussie Hand Pies and other pies is that they’re typically sold as individual portions rather than full pies to-go. They are usually eaten with one’s hands as opposed to cut into slices using a knife.They also tend to be smaller in size than American hand pies, which makes them more portable than their larger counterparts!
Aussie Hand Pies are a small pie that is usually filled with meat and vegetables. They differ from other pies because they have a pastry crust instead of a pie crust, which makes them easier to eat on the go.
The history behind this food comes from the Australian-Irish immigrants who created this dish as an alternative to traditional pies, which were hard to transport in Australia’s hot climate and difficult for workers during their long days at work.
Aussie Hand Pies can be found all around the country but mostly in Queensland where it has become part of our culture. Australians love eating these pies when watching sports matches or sitting down with family over dinner time.
Why should I make them at home?
Aussie hand pies are the perfect for a quick and easy meal. Plus, they’re a great way to use up leftovers from the fridge.
They can be made in under an hour with limited ingredients, and they taste great! These pies are also perfect for picnics or barbecues because they don’t require any utensils to eat from. Aussie hand pies are fast, delicious, and convenient.
How to Make Aussie Hand Pies?
Aussie Hand Pies are a traditional Australian sweet, and these easy to follow instructions will have you making them in no time. The hand pies are made with puff pastry dough, which is very simple to make. You can fill the pies with any flavor that your heart desires.
There are many different types of pies, but one that has become more popular in recent years is the Aussie hand pie. Hand pies can be filled with a variety of ingredients and toppings, including meat, vegetables, and sauces. You can eat them for lunch or dinner or as an appetizer at parties.
They’re also easy to make – you just need flour, egg wash (egg plus water), cold butter cut into small pieces, salt & pepper for seasoning and filling ingredients like ham & cheese or bacon & potatoes.
How to make the dough?
There are many different ways to make the dough for aussie meat pies. The most common is the traditional method, which involves combining flour and water together to form a soft dough.
This is then rolled out into two circles before being filled with beef mince or minced lamb and vegetables of your choice. It’s then sealed around the edges before baking in an oven until golden brown and crispy on top.
You can either serve these as they are or you can cut them up into wedges like pizza slices, depending on what suits your fancy best!
The filling can be anything you want!
Australian meat pies come in all sorts of different flavours and varieties, with the most common being beef or chicken. Some other fillings include lamb, pork, veal, cheese and spinach. What’s your favourite filling?
In Australia we love our pies! In fact it’s estimated that Australians eat around 12 million Aussie Meat Pies per year so you’re not alone if you’ve been looking for a good recipe to try out at home.
And while there are so many different types of pie recipes to choose from (sweet or savoury), the most popular type is going to be an Australian meat pie.
Make them with your favorite ingredients, or try this all time favorite original aussie hand pie recipe below!
Aussie hand pies are a delicious and satisfying treat. They’re easy to make, too!
What ingredients do I need?
You’ll need flour, butter or margarine, salt, eggs and water.
How to make them?
- The dough is made from the above ingredients and kneaded for five minutes before being rested in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- After resting time has passed, divide into four pieces of equal size (make sure they don’t stick together) then roll out each piece so that it’s about three-quarters of an inch thick.
- Place a spoonful of filling on one half of the circle with enough space at either edge for crimping up to create a seal before folding.
- Place the pastry over the top to cover, pressing down on the edges with a fork and seal in your filling. Make sure you make small cross-incisions in order for steam to escape from your pie!
- Brush the egg yolk over the surface of the pie, then bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes or until the pastry is golden. Serve immediately.
Tips for cooking and serving hand pies
Hand pies are one of the simplest and most satisfying treats you can make, but they’re also surprisingly difficult to get right. And that’s because there are so many variables that can go wrong.
- You have to know how much dough is needed for each pie, or else it won’t come out properly
- You have to choose the best filling ingredients, or else your hand pies will be too dry or too wet
- And you need a good technique for sealing up all those little edges – otherwise your pies will leak!
But don’t worry: with these tips in mind, this should be easy enough even if it’s your first time making hand pies.
Hand pies are a hot trend in the food industry. They’re small, handheld pies that can be made with any kind of crust and filling you want. But how do you serve them? Here are a few tips for serving hand pies!
- If your pie is already baked, put it on a tray lined with parchment paper or tin foil to keep the bottom from getting soggy
- Don’t forget to use tongs when handling hand pies because they’ll be too hot otherwise (and that’s just dangerous)
- Use cake stands, which come in various heights and colors, or plates to make sure your guest has enough room to eat their pie comfortably.
Do you love eating hand pies but don’t know how to store them? Here are some tips for storing your favorite pastry.
- Leave the package unopened and cover with aluminum foil or plastic wrap until ready to eat.
- Place in a bag, seal tightly, and refrigerate within two hours of purchase or if it’s too hot outside (over 90 degrees).
- Freeze immediately after opening and place in an airtight container before freezing solid to prevent freezer burn around the edges of the pie crusts!