The veggie tot is one of the most popular appetizers in recent years. This type of food is usually deep-fried. But with an air fryer, it can be made without any oil at all.
This is how to cook veggie tots in air fryer. All you need to do is put the veggie tots in the air fryer basket, and follow the below simple instructions, and you’ll have a delicious side dish that’s healthier than greasy french fries or onion rings.
This blog post will tell of what veggie tots are and the step by step of how to cook veggie tots in an air fryer.
Air Fryer Veggie Tots
Why do we cook Veggie Tots in an air fryer?
It’s simple to air fry frozen veggie tots, and they turn out extremely crispy and delicious.
The cooking process with the air fryer is fast. It takes less time to heat up than the traditional oven.
Tips for cooking frozen Veggie Tots in the air fryer
- The size, vegetable type, thickness, and coating of veggie tots vary. As a result, you’ll have to adjust the cooking time.
- Without overcrowding the small air fryer, 14 oz is the maximum size without compromising performance (they’re often found in 14oz bags). If you have a bigger air fryer, you can cook more if the basket isn’t filled more than half-full.
- The more you put in the basket, the more often you will want to shake it.
- No oil cooking spray is needed. They cook nicely without needing any extra oil.
- There are many brands of frozen tater tots. They are all about the same size. But some air fryers cook hotter than others, so you’ll have to adjust the cooking time a little bit.
- After you cook your first batch in the air fryer, you’ll know what time to cook them for your liking.
How to Cook Veggie Tots in Air Fryer?
Here are several easy veggie tots air fryer recipes.
Whether you heat the frozen veggie tots or make them from scratch, the air fryer can give you crispy and fresh results.
Crispy Air Fryer Frozen Veggie Tots Recipe
This air fryer cauliflower tots recipe will make great crispy veggie tots.
- 14 oz. (396 g) Frozen Veggie Tots (for example, frozen cauliflower tots)
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- Put the frozen cauliflower tots in the air fryer basket. Spread them out. You do not need to spray oil on them.
- Heat the air fryer to 400°F/205°C. Cook for 5-8 minutes. Shake and gently stir about halfway through cooking. For large batches, or if your tots don’t cook evenly, turn them a few times.
- To crisp the food, turn the oven up to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and cook it for another 1-3 minutes.
- Season with salt & pepper, if desired.
Air Fryer Homemade Veggie Tots Recipe
This recipe is a homemade low-carb air-fried Veggie Tots, a keto, gluten-free, and vegan appetizer or snack. It is mostly made of carrots and zucchini.
Cooking time: 10-15 minutes
- 2 carrots shredded
- 2 small zucchinis shredded
- ¾ cup almond flour
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 flaxseed “eggs” 2 tbsp of flaxseed meal + 6 tbsp of water
- 1 tbsp white sesame seeds
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- Mix the flaxseed meal with water. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Mash the carrots and zucchini together with the flaxseed “egg” (flaxseed mixed with water), garlic powder, sesame seeds, smoked paprika, and salt in a big mixing bowl. Mix them well until they are combined. This will result in a smooth dough.
- Add almond flour, and stir to incorporate.
- Make 20 small balls with your hands. Make them about the size of a ping pong ball, slightly flattened.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400F.
- Place the tots in the preheated air fryer. They should not be close together. Cook them for 8-10 minutes on one side. Then cook them 5 more minutes on the other side.
- Let them cool a little before you serve them. Then, you can have them as a snack with dip or as the main dish with salad.
- Keep leftovers in the fridge for up to 7 days.
About Veggie Tots
What is Veggie Tots?
Veggie Tots are a quintessential food of the late twentieth and early twenty-first century.
They’re essentially like hash browns, but in little bite-sized nuggets, with bits of vegetables in them.
Vegetable Tots are an excellent alternative for kids who don’t like eating vegetables in their natural form but love tater tots and fries.
The bite-sized tots make it easy to share with friends or family at parties, barbecues, tailgating events.
Veggie Tots Ingredients
Veggie Tots® Broccoli & Sweet Potato: Sweet Potatoes, Broccoli, White Beans, Non-GMO Expeller Pressed Canola Oil, Dehydrated Potato Flakes, Water, Corn Starch, Garbanzo Bean Flour, Pure Cane Sugar, Sea Salt, Tapioca Starch, Xanthan Gum, Contains less than 2% of Locust Bean Gum, Rice Flour, Garlic, Tapioca Dextrin.
Veggie Tots® Cauliflower & Chickpeas: Potatoes, Cauliflower, Chickpeas, Non-GMO Expeller Pressed Canola Oil, Dehydrated Potato Flakes, Rice Flour, Water, Contains less than 2% of Corn Starch, Sea Salt, Potato Starch, Tapioca Starch, Garlic, Locust Bean Gum, Tapioca Dextrin, Xanthan Gum.
Veggie Tots® Beet & Carrots: Potatoes, Beets, Carrots, White Beans, Non-GMO Expeller Pressed Canola Oil, Dehydrated Potato Flakes, Rice Flour, Water, Garbanzo Bean Flour, Pure Cane Sugar, Sea Salt, Organic Corn Starch, Tapioca Starch, Contains less than 2% of Xanthan Gum, Garlic, Tapioca Dextrin, Locust Bean Gum.
Are Veggie Tots healthy?
The nutritional information claims that the tots are healthy, although they don’t taste it.
These Veggie Tots, on the other hand, can help you get your kids to eat vegetables.
There are no artificial flavors or preservatives. It contains egg, milk, soy, and wheat.
How to Cook Veggie Tots?
How do you usually cook Veggie Tots?
Veggie tots have a good shelf life. You can store them in the freezer for up to six months.
However, if you want to keep them longer than that, it is better not to freeze them and buy veggie tot bags from your local grocery stores instead.
You can cook them for about 20 minutes in the oven at 400F, turning halfway through.
You can also zap frozen veggie tots for about two minutes on high power.
This method doesn’t give you that crisp outside texture like oven cooking does, but it’s fast and easy if space is an issue or you need to cook them in a hurry.
What to serve with Veggie Tots?
The golden rule of serving them with something is to ensure the condiment or the main dish doesn’t overpower their flavor.
For example, you can serve these veggie tot nuggets with different kinds of dips like ketchup, mayonnaise (vegan), Indian mango chutney, sweet chili sauce, etc. You can also eat them with a salad, or cooked vegetables.
Can you fry green giant veggie tots?
You cannot fry green giant veggie tots, but you can cook them.
When you use an air fryer for cooking these veggie tots, it feels like the difference between night and day.
Out of the oven, they’re a mushy thing. But, hot from frying, they have an excellent outer crust and keep the inside soft.
Are veggie Tots healthy?
Veggie Tots are made out of vegetables like cauliflower or broccoli instead of potatoes. They are a healthier alternative to tater tots and french fries.
Can veggie tots be microwaved?
You can microwave the tots if you don’t want to use an oven. They will not get as crispy, but they taste fine when microwaved.
Can I deep fry veggie tots?
You can deep fry veggie tots if you want. Just don’t use too much oil to avoid greasiness.